New Delhi, 16 June 2022 – Railway Recruitment 2022 – On 14 June 2022, the Indian Railways declared that it intends to recruit 1,48,463 candidates over the next year. Over the last 8 years, only 43,678 candidates have been recruited in the railways on an average yearly basis and the government plans to boost the workforce to its optimum state.
This decision is aligned with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s instruction to recruit 10 lakh candidates under the “Mission Mode” scheme in various departments and ministries of the Indian Government in the next 18 months.
Table of Contents
- Railway Recruitment 2022 – Data
- Railway Recruitment 2022 – What is Mission Mode Scheme?
- Railway Recruitment 2022 – Statistics
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Railway Recruitment 2022 – Data
|Number of candidates to be recruited over the next year||1,48,463|
|Total intake from 2014-15 to 2021-22||3,49,422|
|Share percentage of Indian Railways||40.55|
|Percent of vacant posts since 2020||21.75|
- As per the latest annual report of the Department of Expenditure on Pay and Allowances, the total number of regular central government civilian employees in position (including in the Union territories) as of March 1, 2020, was 31.91 lakh as against the sanctioned strength of 40.78 lakh.
- Around 21.75 percent of the posts were left vacant.
- Almost 92 percent of the total workforce gets covered by five major ministries or departments:
- Defence (Civil)
- Home Affairs
- Of the total strength of 31.33 lakh (excluding the Union territories), the percentage share of the railways is just 40.55.
Railway Recruitment 2022 – What is Mission Mode Scheme?
- Through the Mission Mode Scheme, candidates will now be able to seek the steps of recruitment through the Home Ministry.
- Under this scheme, 10 lakh candidates will be recruited in various departments and ministries in one and a half years.
- The announcement of the 10 lakh government job openings was made after PM Modi conducted a review of the status of human resources in all government departments and ministries.
- This comes as good news for all those who are looking to apply for jobs in the central government.
- The lakhs of vacancies available through government sectors and ministries, and the recruitment process for the same, will be notified by the concerned departments soon.
PM @narendramodi reviewed the status of Human Resources in all departments and ministries and instructed that recruitment of 10 lakh people be done by the Government in mission mode in next 1.5 years.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) June 14, 2022
Railway Recruitment 2022 – Statistics
- As per the Indian Railways, from 2014-15 to 2021-22, its total intake was 3,49,422 candidates, with an average of 43,678 per year.
- In 2022-23, the Indian Railways is all set to recruit 1,48,463 candidates.
- Of the total expenditure on pay and allowances in 2019-20, the Indian Railways continues to have the largest share of 35.06 percent. However, in 2018-19, the share marginally decreased from 36.78%.
- The national transporter has abolished over 72,000 Group C and Group D posts in the last 6 years against a proposal to surrender 81,000 posts during the same period.
- All these posts have become redundant due to technology, and will not be available for recruitment purposes in the future.
- Moreover, the employees currently holding such posts are likely to be absorbed in various departments of the railways.
- These posts had to be eliminated as Railway operations became modern and digitized.
- The 16 zonal railways have given up 56,888 “non-essential” posts during the financial years 2015-16 to 2020-21, with 15,495 more scheduled to be removed.
- While the Northern Railways has absolved more than 9,000 posts, the South Eastern Railway has given up around 4,677.
- The Southern Railway has abolished 7,524 posts and the Eastern Railways has abolished more than 5,700 such posts.
Note: The Railway Recruitment Cell (RRC), Western Railway (WR), has opened its online application portal for RRC Recruitment 2022. Candidates can click here to know more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the recent update regarding Indian Railways recruitment?
The Indian Railways recently declared that it will recruit 1,48,463 candidates over the next year.
How long will it take Indian Railways to complete the recruitment process?
It will take around 18 months to recruit 1,48,463 candidates.
Where can the candidates find the notification and process of application details for the upcoming vacancies?
The candidates are requested to keep checking the website of the Indian Railways - indianrailways.gov.in for all the latest updates related to the Indian Railways recruitment 2022.