Agnipath Recruitment Scheme – Upper Age Limit Increased to 23 Years, Protests Continue

New Delhi, 17 June 2022: On Thursday, the government increased the upper age limit for the aspiring candidates to 23 years – from the original limit of 21 years – under the Agnipath recruitment scheme for the year 2022. The decision to increase the upper age limit for Agniveers has also come at the backdrop of Agnipath-related protests that have been taking place in several parts of the country. 

The increase in the upper age limit for Agniveers, who will be recruited under the Agnipath scheme, was announced by the Ministry of Defence which stated that a one-time waiver in the upper age limit has been accepted as no armed forces recruitments have happened in the last 2 years. 

Agnipath Recruitment Scheme – Details

Old upper age limit  21 years
New upper age limit 23 years
Protest affected places Bihar, UP, Indore, and Gwalior
Number of candidates to be inducted  46,000
Salary package  INR 4.76 lakh to INR 6.92 lakh

Agnipath Recruitment Scheme – Recent Protest Updates

  • The protests over the Agnipath recruitment scheme have been continuing even today, that is, Friday for a third consecutive day. 
  • The protesters have been setting up train coaches on fire as a way to showcase their resistance against the new recruitment scheme for the defense forces. 
  • Till now, they have set two coaches of an Indian Railway passenger train on fire in Bihar. 
  • The coaches of the Jammu Tawi Express train were also set on fire at Mohiuddin Nagar station of the Hajipur-Barauni railway line.
  • Other protest-ridden places are Bihar’s Ara, Haryana’s Palwal, Uttar Pradesh’s Agra, as well as Gwalior and Indore in Madhya Pradesh.


  • By far Bihar is the worst-affected place due to the trains set on fire, window panes of buses being damaged, and constant stone-pelting.
  • Due to such widespread violence, the government raised the upper age limit to 23 years from 21 years for recruitment under the scheme for the year 2022.

About Agnipath Recruitment Scheme

  • Agnipath recruitment scheme is an initiative for the Indian youth who wish to join the armed forces. 
  • The entry would be done for a period of 4 years initially. During these 4 years, the recruits would be trained by the armed forces in the respective skills required. 
  • Recruits hired under the scheme would be called Agniveers.
  • The Agnipath scheme intends to add 46,000 soldiers to the Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Indian Air Force (IAF) every year. 
  • Since its launch, the Agnipath scheme has divided various sections of the population. While some are siding with the scheme, others are questioning the future of Agniveers after the allotted tenure of four years completes and the recruits are left with no source of employment. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the age limit to apply for the Agnipath scheme?

Enrolment will be based on an ‘All India All Class’ basis and the eligible age ranges from 17.5 to 23 years.

How much salary will be given to the Agniveers under the Agnipath scheme?

The starting annual package will be INR 4.76 lakh. This will be then increased to INR 6.92 lakh by the fourth year of service.

What is the term of service under the Agnipath scheme?

Following four years of service, 25% of Agniveers will be retained in the regular cadre based on merit, willingness, and medical fitness. They will then serve another full term of 15 years. The remaining 75% of Agniveers will be given an exit or Seva Nidhi' package worth Rs 11-12 lakh.

Buddy4Study - IDFC FIRST

follow us for social updates


  1. Source of Information: Buddy4Study app compiles details on scholarships/fellowships from government websites and private scholarship sources. Links to the official sources accompany each listing detail pages.
  2. Non-affiliation: The Buddy4Study app is not associated with any government entity in India or elsewhere. When featuring government scholarships, we rely on publicly accessible information from central and state government websites in India.