New Delhi, 16 June 2022 – The Agnipath recruitment scheme was launched on 14 June 2022 by the Government of India to bring in more youthful soldiers into the armed forces and lessen the economic burden of pensions. Now, in a recent development on Wednesday (15 June), the Ministry of Education stated that it will launch a 3-year bachelor’s degree programme to provide university credits to defence personnels who are recruited through the Agnipath scheme
The ministry noted that doing this will “enhance the future career prospects of our Agniveers, and equip them for various job roles in the civilian sector and recognise the skill training received by them during their defence tenure”.
The bachelor’s programme will be designed by IGNOU and will cover a wide range of subjects. Additionally, 50% of the credits required for the graduate degree will come from the skills that recruits receive under the Agnipath scheme and the remaining 50% will come from the IGNOU courses.
Along with that, Vice Admiral Biswajit Dasgupta (Indian Navy) has informed that the “Agniveer” program will have various training sessions including basic, sea, and professional training spanning 34 weeks.
Table of Contents
- Agnipath Recruitment Scheme: Updates Overview
- Agnipath Recruitment Scheme: 3-Year Bachelor’s Degree
- Agnipath Recruitment Scheme: Navy Training Plan
Agnipath Recruitment Scheme: Updates Overview
|Scheme Name||Agnipath Recruitment Scheme 2022|
|Launched By||Government of India|
|Launch Date||14 June 2022|
|Educational Degree Update||A 3-year bachelor’s degree programme will be crafted to provide university credits to recruits under Agnipath scheme|
|Navy Update||Recruits will undergo various training sessions including basic, sea, and professional training that will span 34 weeks in total.|
|Salary||INR 30,000 to INR 40,000 per month|
|Tenure||Four years of service, after which, 25% of soldiers will be retained for 15 years of permanent service|
Agnipath Recruitment Scheme: 3-Year Bachelor’s Degree
- Under the Agnipath recruitment scheme, a 3-year bachelor’s degree course will be crafted for the recruits.
- The course will be designed by IGNOU.
- The course will be recognised by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET), and the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- IGNOU will also enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Army, Navy, and Indian Air Force to offer this programme.
- In the course, 50% of credits required for the graduate degree will come from skills received under the Agnipath scheme.
- The remaining 50% will come from the subjects offered by IGNOU under the course.
- These include a wide variety of subjects like Economics, History, Political Science, Public Administration, Literature, Language, Sociology, Mathematics, Education, Commerce, Tourism, Vocational Studies, Agriculture, English Communication Skills, Environmental Studies, and Astrology.
- Recruits who apply for the programme will also have the option of multiple exit points, under which they will get an undergraduate certificate on completion of 1 year, an undergraduate diploma on completion of first 2 years, and a degree on completion of all 3 years of the programme.
- The “Agniveer” program will have various training sessions including basic, sea, and professional training, which will span 34 weeks.
- This will have 16 weeks of basic training, 2 weeks of sea training, and 16 weeks of professional training.
- After the training, the Indian Navy will employ the recruits for regular duties of 4 years.
- After that, 25% of recruits will be retained for permanent service of 15 years.
NOTE: The application window for IGNOU Admission 2022 is now open, please click here to know more.
How can Agniveers get selected for permanent service in the armed forces?
All Agniveers will be able to get selected for permanent service after 4 years. They can voluntarily apply for enrolment in the permanent cadre. However, the selection will be done based on their performance during the 4-year service tenure.
What will the Agnipath scheme training be like?
Training will be on a par with that of the regular armed forces and would involve rigorous military exercises. The training standards will be monitored by the highest authorities of the Indian Armed Forces.
Will recruits be able to get a degree while they are under service?
Yes, recruits will undergo a 3-year bachelor’s degree program, which will be designed by IGNOU.