The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) will conduct an online examination, BITSAT 2020, to shortlist candidates for admission into integrated first-degree programmes. The exam date has been extended by the authority in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak. The BITS authorities have recently announced that BITSAT 2020 examination will be held from September 16-18 and September 21-23, 2020. The exam was previously scheduled to be conducted from August 6 to August 10, 2020.
Important Update- BITS Pilani declared the iteration 6 results on 17th November 2020. The results for the iteration 1,2,3,4 and 5 have already been announced by the governing on 5th October, 15th October, 23rd October, 2nd November and 11th November 2020 respectively.
All the 12th passed and appearing students with a minimum of 75% aggregate marks can sit for the BITS Admission Test 2020. Eligible candidates must fill and submit an online application form on BITS official website i.e. bitsadmission.com by May 11 2020, 5 pm. In order to appear for this test, candidates must also download the admit card of BITSAT 2020. All the details required by a candidate before and after applying for the examination are provided in this article below.
Effect of COVID-19 on BITSAT 2020 Schedule
- There is a sudden outbreak of COVID-19 in the nation that has affected the schedule of many major entrance examinations.
- As of now, only the application submission and the dates of a few other events have been revised by the BITS authority.
- The last date of BITSAT 2020 application form submission been again extended to May 11 (5PM).
- BITSAT 2020 will be held from September 16-18 and September 21-23, 2020.
- Candidates should be prepared for any changes as per the government orders in the BITSAT 2020 schedule, in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak.
Table of Contents
- BITSAT 2020 – Important Dates
- BITSAT – Exam Analysis
- BITSAT – BITS Campuses
- BITSAT – Courses Available
- BITSAT – Application Process
- BITSAT – Application Form Correction
- BITSAT – Pattern of Examination
- BITSAT – Syllabus
- BITSAT – List of Exam Centres
- BITSAT – Slot Booking
- BITSAT – Admit Card
- BITSAT – Result
- BITSAT – Cutoff
- BITSAT – Merit List
- BITSAT – Fee Structure
- BITSAT – FAQs
BITSAT 2020 – Important Dates
|Start of registration||January 11, 2020|
|Last date to register||May 11, 2020|
|Online form correction||May 15 (10AM) to May 20 (5PM)|
|Test center allotment list||–|
|Slot booking||9th September 2020|
|Admit card availability||13th September 2020|
|BITSAT exam||September 16-18, September 21-23, 2020|
|BITSAT result||29th September 2020|
|Downloading of scorecard||–|
|Release of merit list and waitlist||–|
*Note- The dates of some of the events are subject to change in order to comply with the government notice regarding coronavirus outbreak.
BITSAT – Exam Analysis
BITS, Pilani recently concluded the first 2 days of the BITSAT 2020. Exam experts analyzed the question paper thoroughly and came to the given below conclusions-
- The exam conducted on 16th September 2020 was rated as “moderately difficult” in comparison to the previous year BITSAT exam.
- The difficulty level of the exam was comparatively lower than the JEE Main.
- Mathematics section was comparatively easier than both physics and chemistry.
- Chemistry was the most difficult section, Inorganic chemistry questions were extremely difficult and time consuming.
- Physics section was moderately difficult, but the questions were time consuming as well.
- English was at par with the previous year BITSAT exam.
BITSAT – BITS Campuses
The Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences has three campuses in India and one campus in Dubai. BITSAT score of a candidate is valid for facilitating admission in all BITS campuses. All the four campuses of BITS are listed below:
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- BITS Hyderabad
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Goa
- BITS Dubai
BITSAT – Courses Available
There are three campuses of Birla Institute in India – Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad. The courses offered at these campuses might vary. In order to choose the desired course, candidates must be aware of the courses offered by BITS at its campuses. Given below is the list of courses available at different BITS campuses. Also, the candidates who join the M.Sc. programmes at BITS Pilani are eligible to apply for a dual degree in engineering after completion of one year.
Courses at BITS, Pilani
- B.E. – Chemical, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical, Manufacturing.
- M.Sc. – Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Physics
- M.Sc. – General Studies
K. Birla Goa Campus
- B.E. – Chemical, Computer Science, Electronics & Communication, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical
- M.Sc. – Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Physics
- B.E.- Chemical, Civil, Computer Science, Electronics & Communication, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical, Manufacturing
- M.Sc.- Biological Science, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Physics
Eligibility Criteria for BITSAT 2020
There are some basic eligibility criteria for candidates who are willing to be a part of Birla Institute. By any chance, if a candidate fails to fulfill the prerequisites, he/she shall not be able to take admission through BITSAT 2020. The criteria required are listed below.
- All such candidates, who are applying for courses other than B.Pharma, must have passed 12th standard examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and adequate proficiency in English.
- Candidates applying for B.Pharma must have passed 12th standard examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and adequate proficiency in English.
- Also, the minimum marks required in class 12th for appearing in BITSAT 2020 are an overall aggregate of 75% in PCM or PCB (for B.Pharma). Further candidates should have obtained at least 60% marks in each of the Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics / Biology subjects separately.
It must be further noted that the first ranked students of all the central and state boards in India for the year 2020 are eligible to get direct admission to their desired program(s) at Birla Institute of Information and Science, irrespective of their BITSAT 2020 score as per the eligibility criteria.
BITSAT – Application Process
All those candidates who find themselves eligible for the BITSAT 2020 can apply for the test online through the official website www.bitsadmission.com only. Also, the application fee must be paid by every candidate applying for BITSAT 2020 without which the application form will not be submitted. Steps to apply for the test are elaborated below.
- Firstly, a candidate must go through all the instructions provided on the first page and enter “Close” to confirm.
- Now, in order to register, enter your Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Nationality, Email ID and Phone number.
- Once the details are submitted, registered candidates will receive the User ID and Password through SMS.
Click Here to Start your BITSAT Registration 2020.
- The next process is to fill the application form by logging in using this ID and password.
- Enter required details in the application form, such as personal details, qualification details etc.
- Next, candidates will have to upload the requisite scanned documents in the application form; make sure the scanned docs are in the given format and size.
Click Here to Login for BITSAT Application Form 2020.
The application form fee has to be paid by every candidate as per the criteria. Also, the mode to pay the application fee for BITSAT 2020 is online through:
- PayUMoney Payment Gateway (Net Banking, Debit/ Credit Card)
BITSAT 2020 Application Fee
|Candidates opting for Dubai exam centre||USD 90|
BITSAT – Application Form Correction
In any case, if a candidate finds any mistake(s) that they have made while submitting the online application form for BITSAT 2020, they need not worry. The examination conducting authority will reopen the application form correction portal for a specified time period [from May 15 (10AM) to May 20 (5PM)]. Candidates can log in to the application portal with the help of their ID and Password to make changes in the application form. No further changes will be entertained by the authority after the closure of the application portal.
BITSAT – Pattern of Examination
The BITSAT 2020 examination is a computer-based exam that has no pen and paper involved. Candidates will be provided with a computer system to solve and mark their answers on it.
BITSAT 2020 Exam Pattern
|Mode of Examination||Computer-based|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice|
|Language of questions||English|
|Duration of examination||180 minutes|
|Total Number of questions||150|
|Marking Scheme||+3 for correct answers and -1 for every incorrect answer.|
Subject-wise marks distribution in BITSAT 2020:
|Subject||Total number of Questions|
|English Proficiency & Logical Reasoning||25|
BITSAT – Syllabus
As the BITSAT 2020 is an entrance exam for candidates who have either passed out or are in the process of appearing in the 12th (PCB/ PCM) examination, the syllabus is based on the topics covered in NCERT 11th and 12th books.
Given below are the subject-wise topics included in the BITSAT syllabus.
- Verbal Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning
- Non-verbal Reasoning
- Units & Measurement
- Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Impulse and Momentum
- Work and Energy
- Rotational Motion
- States of Matter
- Atomic Structure
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Physical and Chemical Equilibria
- Chemical Kinetics
- Diversity in Living World
- Cell: The Unit of Life; Structure and Function
- Genetics and Evolution
- Structure and Function – Plants
- Structure and Function – Animals
- Reproduction, Growth, and Movement in Plants
- Reproduction and Development in Humans
- two-dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Three-dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Differential calculus
- Integral calculus
- Ordinary Differential Equations
Click Here to Find the Detailed Syllabus of BITSAT 2020.
BITSAT – List of Exam Centres
The Birla Institute of Technology and Science releases a list of all the examination centres designated for conducting the BITSAT 2020. Candidates applying for this exam have to submit their choices for the examination centre. A candidate can choose up to a maximum of 3 centres from which one will be allotted to them as per availability.
BITSAT 2020 Exam Centres
|Name of city||Name of City||Name of City|
|Dubai Campus of BITS (International Center)||Nasik||Dibrugarh|
|Goa Campus of BITS||Patna||Rajkot|
|Gorakhpur||Pilani campus of BITS||Aurangabad|
|Hyderabad Campus of BITS||Ranchi||Mohali|
BITSAT – Slot Booking
All the registered candidates will have to book the slot for BITSAT 2020. The slot booking process will be enabled on the website i.e. www.bitsadmission.com. Using the slot booking facility, a candidate will be able to reserve the time and date of examination as per their preference. Also, it must be noted that this slot booking facility for BITSAT 2020 will be done on the basis of ‘first come first serve’. The candidates who book a slot first will be preferred over the candidates who book the same slot later.
In order to access the slot booking portal, candidates will need to log in to the website. To log in, use your ID and password generated at the time of registration. Further, after the slot booking, admit cards will be issued for examination.
BITSAT – Admit Card
Once the candidates have booked their slots from the website, they will be able to download the BITSAT 2020 admit card. The admit card will be made available on the official website only. In order to get the BITSAT 2020 admit card, candidates will have to log in with the help of their ID and password generated. Make sure to take a printout of this admit card, once downloaded.
As the hall ticket of BITSAT 2020 is important to be carried to the examination centre, a candidate must go through all the examination and personal details that are provided on the same. In any case of discrepancy, the same should be rectified before the examination date. Also, make sure to carry a hard copy of this admit card as an identity proof to the examination centre.
BITSAT – Result
All the candidates taking BITSAT 2020 must know that they can check the result for this examination one day after their examination. The result will display their score with all the correct and incorrect answers attempted by the candidates. As the examination for BITSAT 2020 will be conducted in various slots, the authority will upload the results slot-wise.
In order to check the BITSAT score, candidates will have to login through the official website using their BITSAT login credentials. However, it will not be the final result of BITSAT 2020. Afterwards, the campuses of Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences will release the stream-wise and category-wise admission cutoffs for the candidates.
BITSAT – Cutoff
For every course available at BITS campuses, there is a given cutoff that needs to be qualified by candidates to secure admission. Candidates who score more or equal to the cutoff score are considered for admission in BITS. The previous year’s course-wise campus cutoffs are given below for candidates to go through.
Previous Year BITSAT Cut Off for Pilani Campus
|Degree program at Pilani Campus||Cut-off score|
|B.E. Electrical & Electronics||338|
|B.E. Computer Science||378|
|B.E. Electronics & Instrumentation||319|
|M.Sc. Biological Sciences||259|
Previous Year BITSAT Cut Off for Goa Campus
|Degree program at Goa Campus||Cut-off score|
|B.E. Electrical and Electronics||308|
|B.E. Computer Science||347|
|B.E. Electronics & Instrumentation||289|
|B.E. Electronics & Communication||314|
|M.Sc. Biological Sciences||252|
Previous Year BITSAT Cut Off for Hyderabad Campus
|Degree program at Hyderabad Campus||Cut-off score|
|B.E. Electrical and Electronics||298|
|B.E. Computer Science||334|
|B.E. Electronics & Communication||312|
|B.E. Electronics & Instrumentation||286|
|M.Sc. Biological Sciences||250|
BITSAT – Merit List
The examination conducting authority for BITSAT 2020 will release a merit list for the same after the examination is conducted. There will be two separate merit lists for the admission process at BITS – one for B.E. and another for the B. Pharm. BITSAT 2020 merit list will encompass the names, rank, and BITSAT score of the candidates. The course-wise merit list of BITSAT 2020 will be accessible on the official website only. There will be a procedure to break the tie (if any) in the merit list, which is describe below:
In case of a Tie/same score by two or more candidates:
If two or more candidates have the same score in BITS 2020, a tie resolving formula will be applied to generate a merit list.
- First, their scores obtained in Mathematics/Biology in BITSAT-2020 will be considered; whoever scores more will be placed higher.
- If the tie still continues, their scores in Physics in BITSAT-2020 will be considered.
- Further, if the tie continues, their scores in Chemistry in BITSAT-2020 will be considered.
- Finally, their PCM/PCB total marks in 12th examination will be considered
BITSAT – Fee Structure
An admission form is to be filled by all such candidates who qualify the BITSAT 2020. These candidates will have to pay an admission fee to lock their seats in any of the campuses of BITS. The fee details for all campuses of Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (except Dubai campus) are given below:
- Admission Fee: Rs. 39,800/-
- First Semester: Rs. 1,78,000/-
- Second Semester: Rs. 1,78,000/-
Also, there is a scholarship that is provided to candidates who are eligible for the same. The scholarship scheme for BITSAT is:
- For BITSAT score of more than or equal to 300: Tuition fee waiver of 75%
- For BITSAT score 250-299: Tuition fee waiver of 50%
- For BITSAT score 200-249:Tuition fee waiver of 25%
BITSAT – FAQs
Q. Who is the conducting body of BITSAT 2020?
The BITSAT 2020 will be conducted by the Birla Institute of Technology and Science for admission of candidates in the four campuses of BITS.
Q. What is the mode of the BITSAT 2020 examination?
The candidates who have applied for the BITSAT 2020 will have to take the examination in online mode only.
Q. Is there any negative marking in BITSAT 2020?
Yes, BITSAT 2020 has negative marking for incorrect responses. 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer marked by a candidate.
Q. Do we need to send a hard copy of the BITSAT 2020 application form?
No, the BITSAT 2020 application form is an online process; therefore, candidates do not require sending this application form through offline mode.
Q. What if a candidate forgets to book a slot for BITSAT 2020?
In case a candidate fails to book a slot for BITSAT 2020 examination, the conducting authority will book the slot for them which cannot be changed under any circumstance.