September 26, 2022, New Delhi, IIT Bombay and CS: Following previous years’ trends, 69 of the top 100 JEE-Advanced toppers have secured admission to the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay. Out of these 69 students, 68 have chosen ‘Computer Science (CS) Engineering’, while only one candidate has chosen ‘Physics Engineering.’
According to the data from the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA), IIT Bombay and CS have been the most sought-after institute and engineering branch, respectively. This year, IIT Bombay was the first choice of 93 top candidates, out of which 69 were selected in the first round of seat allocation for the IITs. IIT Delhi received admissions from 28 of the top 100 applicants, while IIT Madras admitted 3 of them.
In the year 2018, 59 out of 100 toppers secured admission to IIT Bombay. The next year, 2019, saw an increase in the number of toppers securing admission to IIT Bombay, with a total of 62 top candidates out of 100 joining the institute. In the year 2021, 62 out of 100 toppers joined the institute.
Other than this, the top 500 JEE-Advanced toppers continue to choose IIT Bombay first. IIT-Delhi accepted 127 of them, and 173 were accepted into IIT-Bombay. Less than 50 of the top 500 students secured admission to IIT-Madras, IIT-Kanpur, and IIT-Kharagpur.
IIT Bombay and CS Remain the Top Choice for JEE Advanced Toppers – Previous Years’ Trend
- In the year 2018, 59 out of 100 toppers were selected for admission to IIT Bombay.
- The next year, 2019, saw an increase in the number of toppers getting admission into IIT Bombay, with a total of 62 top candidates out of 100 joining the former institute.
- In 2020, 58 toppers out of 100 joined IIT Bombay.
- In the year 2021, 62 out of 100 toppers joined the institute.
IIT Bombay and CS Remain the Top Choice for JEE Advanced Toppers – Reasons
- One of the reasons why JEE Advanced toppers generally choose IIT Bombay over other IITs is its location. Mumbai is considered the financial capital of the country and attracts the highest number of employers compared to other IITs.
- The other reason is that IIT Bombay offers the most choices for courses. The variety of courses and their combinations are created in accordance with the needs of the market today and anticipated needs in the near future. They significantly improve students’ chances of finding employment.
- IIT Mumbai permits first-year students with strong GPAs to switch to the engineering branch of their choice. Along with their core engineering courses, students can also enrol in minor courses in their areas of interest. JEE toppers are drawn to this flexibility since it allows them to pursue their passions while still becoming ready for future market demands.
- IIT Mumbai has been successful in luring the highest pay packages from multinational corporations all over the world in recent years. In 2021, the five biggest salary packages offered to IIT students were offered to IIT Bombay students. In 2013, one Multinational Corporation (MNC) from Japan gave up to five students from IIT Bombay a salary offer of roughly Rs. 30 lakh each, making it one of the highest offers the firm had ever offered abroad.
- In recent years, IIT Mumbai’s curriculum has become highly flexible, allowing students to choose whether they want it to be considerably more balanced or rigorous than at other IITs. Although the main curriculum gives students a lot of free time, there is a ‘Minors’ and ‘Honours System’ that enables them to select as many courses as they want to take each semester.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why do JEE Advanced toppers choose IIT Bombay over other IITs?
The JEE Advanced toppers mostly choose IIT Bombay over other IITs for many reasons. One of the reasons is that Mumbai is the financial capital of India, which attracts the highest number of employers to IIT Bombay compared to other IITs. The other reason is that IIT Bombay offers the most choices for courses, high pay packages, the flexibility of switching engineering branches, and its ‘Minors’ and ‘Honours System’ enable students to select as many courses as they want to take each semester.
What is the other name for IIT Bombay?
IIT Powai is another name for IIT Bombay. Mumbai’s IIT is situated in the Powai neighbourhood.
Which is the most sought-after engineering branch at IIT?
Computer Science Engineering (CSE) is the most sought-after engineering branch at IIT.