New Delhi, 25 March 2022: On 21 March 2022, the University Grants Commission (UGC) announced that admissions to undergraduate courses in central universities will be carried out through the recently proposed Central University Common Entrance Test (CUCET) or the Common University Entrance Test (CUET). However, the council has not yet released any guidelines concerning the common entrance test. The common entrance test is to be held in the first week of July 2022 for the academic year of 2022-23.
Class 12 board exam scores will not be considered for admissions in central universities, as the merit would be secured solely on the basis of the performance of students in the CUCET 2022 exam. From now onwards, only CUCET marks will be taken under consideration for admissions to central universities recognized by UGC.
Note: Foreign students will not be required to take the CUCET exam. They will be admitted based on their merit.
Table of Contents
CUCET 2022-23 – Format
- CUCET 2022-23 will be conducted in two sessions of four hours each.
- In the first session, the candidate has to attempt one language paper out of the 13 languages namely, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Assamese, Bengali, Punjabi, Odia, Urdu, and English. Candidates may also choose two domain subjects out of the 27 prescribed subjects (list below). Then, if the candidate chooses to write, they may also write a general test.
- In the second session, the candidates can choose up to four subjects and also attempt a language test.
- Candidates signing up for foreign languages may pick any language from the list of French, Spanish, German, Nepali, Persian, Italian, Arabic, Sindhi, Kashmiri, Konkani, Bodo, Dogri, Maithili, Manipuri, Santhali, Tibetan, Japanese, Russian, and Chinese.
CUCET 2022-23 – Subjects
The common university entrance test will administer twenty seven domain subjects. These are:
- Accountancy/Book Keeping
- Biology/Biological Studies/Biotechnology
- Business Studies
- Computer Science/Informatics Practices
- Economics/Business Economics
- Engineering Graphics
- Home Science
- Knowledge Tradition–Practices India
- Legal Studies
- Commercial Arts
- Physical Education/NCC
- Political Science
- Teaching Aptitude
- Mass Media/Mass Communication
- Fine Arts/Visual Arts (Sculpture/Painting)
- Performing Arts
CUCET 2022-23 – General Test
The general test under the CUCET 2022-23 will be administered to assess the candidate’s general mental ability, numerical ability, general knowledge, current affairs, quantitative reasoning, logical as well as analytical reasoning, and more.
CUCET 2022-23 – Result Format
- CUCET is not designed to rank students, it will just provide scores against their performance.
- There will be no criteria of negative marking for wrong answers.
- CUCET will be a computer-based test with multiple-choice questions.
- The result of Class 12 board exams will not be given due weightage.
Note: The application of the candidate will only be deemed eligible if the candidate has scored a total of 60 per cent or above in the secondary (Class 12) board examinations. However, this may vary as per the university qualifying criteria. For more information, refer to the official guidelines which are yet to be issued.
For more information, candidates are requested to visit the CUCET official website.
CUCET 2022-23 – Drawback
As per media sources, there have been complaints suggesting that the common university examination may isolate students from rural backgrounds and down-trodden communities from a chance to pursue higher education.
Dr R Murali, Secretary, Save Higher Education Movement, Tamil Nadu commented, “This is a great blow to students from such sections of the society who aspire for higher education and such an exam can even be considered undemocratic. This type of exam is going to favour only the upper class and the rich and lead to students of down-trodden communities being unable to enter quality educational institutions. At a time when we want to encourage as many students as possible to take up higher education, this is highly troubling.”
Teachers remain equally concerned about the fact that such an exam may completely ignore the value of Class 12 board exam marks. It may lead students to take board exams for granted which would be unfortunate. This is also unfair to various state boards since the CUCET only focuses upon the NCERT syllabus which would isolate state board students completely.
CUCET 2022-23 – Benefit
Many educators have also observed that the common university entrance test can prove to be useful to push students to get a better command of concepts, otherwise they will not be able to approach the questions. It would also motivate them to build a strong knowledge base concerning general education, reasoning ability, and more.
CUCET 2022-23 – FAQs
What is the use of the CUCET exam?
CUCET is a common entrance test for all the central universities in the country. It will be mandatory for the students to appear in it to take admissions in undergraduate programmes offered by 45 central universities of India.
Would special coaching be required to pass the CUCET?
No, it is not required since the CUCET will only be based on the NCERT syllabus of Class 12.
How do I register for CUCET 2022?
Candidates are required to register by visiting the CUCET official website.