New Delhi, 15 September 2022, UPSC ESE 2023: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is conducting the Engineering Services Exam (ESE), popularly known as IES (Indian Engineering Services), on 19 February 2023. According to the notification released on the official website – upsc.gov.in – the Engineering Services Exam (ESE) will be held for 327 posts.
The commission organizes the ESE/IES exam for major branches of engineering, namely Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronics Telecommunications. The authorities will conduct preliminary and mains exams to shortlist the candidates for departments, including Railway, Ordnance Factories, Central Public Works Department (CPWD) etc.
Table of Contents
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Important Dates
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Vacancy
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Eligibility
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Selection Process
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Exam Pattern
- UPSC ESE 2023 – Syllabus
- How to apply for UPSC ESE 2023 exam?
UPSC ESE 2023 – Important Dates
The candidates can apply for the preliminary exam on the Union Public Service Commission website till 4 October 2022.
The candidates are further advised to read the important dates regarding UPSC ESE 2023 exam:
|Notification of Online Application||14 September 2022|
|Availability of Online Application Forms||14 September 2022|
|Last Date of Application Form||4 October 2022|
|Preliminary Admit Card Date||January 2023|
|Date of Preliminary Exam||19 February 2023|
UPSC ESE 2023 – Vacancy
A total of 327 UPSC ESE vacancies have been released for applicants in various departments of the Government of India.
The candidates can check category-wise vacancies from the table given below:
|UPSC ESE vacancy||327|
|Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD)||11|
|Hard of Hearing||02|
|Specific Learning Disability||01|
- The number of vacancies can be altered by the commission.
- The reservations will be made for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Class (OBC), Economically Weaker Section (EWS) as well as Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD) category.
The candidates can check branch-wise post vacancies from the table given below:
|Category 1- Civil Engineering||
|Category 2 – Mechanical Engineering||
|Category 3 – Electrical Engineering||
|Category 4 – Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||
Note: The eligibility of transgender for Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical engineering posts in Border Road Engineering Service shall be as per the decision taken by the government.
UPSC ESE 2023 – Eligibility
- Candidates must be citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan.
- Candidates applying for the exam must be at least 21 years of age.
- Candidates must have been born not earlier than 2 January 1993.
- Candidates must have obtained an engineering degree from a recognized university.
- Candidates must have passed Sections A and B of the institution’s examinations and obtained a degree/diploma in engineering from such foreign university.
Note: The candidates who fall under the reserved categories can avail the benefit of age relaxation. For Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), and Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD) candidates, the upper age limit will be applicable as per the rules of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
UPSC ESE 2023 – Selection Process
The selection process of UPSC ESE recruitment includes three stages: preliminary exams, mains exams and personality tests. The preliminary and mains are written examinations. The candidates have to clear each stage to be eligible for the next stage of selection. The candidates will be judged on their task handling and presence of mind.
- Preliminary exam: The preliminary exam is divided into two parts namely: General Ability and Engineering Branch.
- Paper 1: General Studies paper will consist of a weightage of 200 marks.
- Paper 2: Concerned engineering stream will consist of a weightage of 300 marks.
- Mains exam: The candidates who qualify Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be eligible for mains exams. The mains exam will be of 600 marks.
- Personality test: The personality test will be of 200 marks. The candidates who are appearing for the personality test round are required to carry the following documents:
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of educational qualification
- Reservation certificate
- Certificate in support of the claim of age
UPSC ESE 2023 – Exam Pattern
- The preliminary exam will consist of two papers namely, Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- There is a negative marking rule of 1/3 marks for each wrong answer.
- The papers will be objective type.
- The papers will be conducted through offline mode.
- Paper 1 will be of a duration of 2 hours and Paper 2 will be of a duration of 3 hours.
- The mains examination is a descriptive type exam. It consists of two papers of 300 marks each.
- The candidates will be called for a personality test to analyze the leadership qualities and other social qualities.
Preliminary Exam Pattern
|General Studies & Engineering Aptitude||200||2 hours|
|Concerned Engineering Stream||300||3 hours|
Mains Exam Pattern
|Paper 1||300||3 hours|
|Paper 2||300||3 hours|
UPSC ESE 2023 – Syllabus
The candidates have to prepare General Studies & Engineering Aptitude topics for Paper 1. The total weightage of the preliminary exam is 500 marks.
Candidates can check the UPSC ESE recruitment 2022 exam syllabus from the information given below:
Preliminary Exam Syllabus (Paper 1)
|General Studies & Engineering Aptitude||
Preliminary Exam Syllabus (Paper 2)
|Concerned Engineering Stream||
Mains Exam Syllabus (Paper 1)
|Analog and Digital Circuits||
Mains Exam Syllabus (Paper 2)
|Analog and Digital Communication Systems||
|Computer Organization and Architecture||
|Advanced Communication Topics||
|Advanced Electronics Topics||
How to apply for UPSC ESE 2023 exam?
Candidates are required to follow the steps mentioned below to apply for UPSC ESE 2023 exam:
Step 1 – Visit the official website – upsc.gov.in.
Step 2 – Navigate to the ‘Examination’ tab’.
Step 3 – Click on ‘Engineering Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2023’ tab.
Step 4 – Click on the ‘OTR (One Time Registration) portal’ tab.
Step 5 – Fill in the required information.
Step 6 – After registration, navigate to the ‘Login’ tab.
Step 7 – Apply for the desirable exam.
Step 8 – Pay the required fees of INR 200.
Step 9 – Click on the ‘Submit’ tab to confirm the application.
Note: For other additional information regarding exam center, admit card, eligibility criteria and withdrawal of application, please click here.
Q.1 When will UPSC ESE 2023 admit card be released?
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will release the admit card of UPSC ESE exam in January 2023.
Q2. How to download the application form for UPSC ESE 2023 exam?
The candidates must visit the official website – upsc.gov.in – to download the application form.
Q3. What is the application fee of UPSC ESE 2023 exam?
The application fee of UPSC ESE exam 2023 is INR 200.