New Delhi, 16 November 2022, UGC New Guidelines – The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued new eligibility criteria and made amendments to the existing regulations for PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degrees. As per the recent guidelines, candidates must secure 75% marks in a four-year undergraduate program and if they fail to do so, they have to apply for the master’s programme and score a minimum of 55% marks.
- The PhD scholars are now required to teach or provide research apprenticeship to the students for a minimum of 6 hours per week.
- The working people can apply for part-time PhD programmes and provide a “No Objection Certificate” from the respective organisation.
Table of Contents
- UGC New Guidelines – Course Information
- UGC New Guidelines – Eligibility Criteria
- UGC New Guidelines – Duration of the Programme
- UGC New Guidelines – Admission Process and Research Supervisors
- UGC New Guidelines – Evaluation Process
- UGC New Guidelines – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
UGC New Guidelines – Course Information
Candidates can check the course details from the information given below:
|Organisation||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|PhD Duration||3 to 6 years|
|Admission Process||National Eligibility Test (NET)/Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Institute Level Entrance Test|
|Degree Requirements||Master’s degree|
|Requirements During PhD||
UGC New Guidelines – Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have 1/2 year master’s degree after 3/4 years of bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 55% marks in total.
- Those seeking admission after 4 years of the bachelor’s degree programme, must secure a total of 75% marks in aggregate.
- Candidates who have completed the M.Phil. programme with a minimum of 55% marks are also eligible to apply for the PhD programme.
Note – The relaxation of 5% marks will be given to the candidates who belong to the categories of Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Other Backward Class (OBC), and Economically Weaker Section (EWS).
UGC New Guidelines – Duration of the Programme
- The programme shall be for a minimum of three years and a maximum of six years from the date of commencement.
- The additional two years can be given through the re-registration process. However, the total period should not exceed eight (8) years.
- Female candidates and Persons with disabilities (PwD) are allowed a relaxation of two years.
- Female scholars can take maternity or childcare leave for up to 240 days.
UGC New Guidelines – Admission Process and Research Supervisors
- Students are required to pass the entrance examination with a minimum of 50% marks. The entrance test will be course-specific.
- Candidates will be called for an interview after the announcement of results. The weightage of the entrance test will be 70% marks and the rest 30% marks will be based on the performance in the interview round.
- The faculty members who are working as Professors/Associate Professors in their institutions cannot supervise scholars of other institutions. They can work as co-supervisors for such institutions.
- In multidisciplinary research work, institutes can appoint co-supervisors from other institutions or departments.
- The faculty members who have less than three years of experience are not eligible to take research scholars under their supervision.
UGC New Guidelines – Evaluation Process
- Candidates must complete the coursework within the allotted time frame and acquire a minimum of 12 credit points to produce a draft of the final thesis.
- Candidates must create a presentation and present it in front of the Research Advisory Committee (RAC).
- The institutions will check the plagiarism to detect the uniqueness of the content.
- After the successful completion of plagiarism detection, candidates can submit the research work with a declaration of plagiarism-free content.
- Candidates will go through the viva and interview process that will be conducted by the respective institutions.
Note – To read the official notification, please click here.
UGC New Guidelines – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 Is PhD mandatory for the job of Assistant Professor?
No, as per the University Grants Commission (UGC), it is not necessary to obtain a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) for the post of Assistant Professor.
Q2. How many papers are required to be published by a PhD scholar?
A PhD scholar must publish four to five development papers.
Q3. What is the duration of doing a PhD course?
The average duration of a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) course shall be a minimum of three years and a maximum of six years from the date of commencement.