New Delhi, 24 January, 2022: The Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) on 18 January, 2022 with the following aims:
- To link vocational education and training with higher education
- To create avenues for work opportunities for India’s youth
- To strengthen the vocational and technical training framework
Note: A total of 32 National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs), 3000 Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs), 500 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKKs), and 300 Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) will be associated with the varsity as registration, examination, and work centres.
IGNOU’S MoU with MSDE
- The beneficiaries of the programme consist of trainees associated with the National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs), Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs), Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs), and Jan Shikshan Sansthans (JSS).
- The beneficiaries of the programme will be provided with better higher education and livelihood opportunities to ensure upward mobility for them.
- The progress of the programme will be monitored and reviewed by a project steering committee.
Note: The memorandum has been signed for a period of ten years and is subject to renewal on mutual agreement.
- The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is a central open learning university located at Maidan Garhi, New Delhi, India.
- The university was established in 1985.
- IGNOU is run by the central government of India and has a total active enrollment of over 3 million students.
The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is a ministry of Government of India. It was established on 9 November 2014 to coordinate all skill development efforts across the country and is headed by Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is responsible for the following:
- Coordination of all skill development efforts across the country.
- Removal of disconnect between demand and supply of skilled manpower.
- Building the vocational and technical training framework, skill up-gradation, and building of new skills.
- Innovative thinking for existing jobs and jobs that are yet to be created.