New Delhi, 04 February 2022: The Punjab and Haryana High Court stayed the state law guaranteeing 75% reservation to locals in private sector jobs. Now, the Haryana government has challenged the order in the Supreme Court which will listen to the case on 7 February 2022.
Note: There were around eight petitions before the court surrounding the law guaranteeing 75% reservation to locals in private sector jobs in Haryana.
Table of Contents
#75% Reservation in Haryana: Stay Order Details
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta presented the matter before the Chief Justice NV Ramana bench for hearing the case on 7 February. He stated that the High Court admitted the plea and stayed the Act after hearing him for 90 seconds.
- In November, 2021, the Haryana government stated that the Employment of Local Candidates Act, 2020 will be implemented in the state from 15 January 2022.
- The government also reduced the upper limit of gross monthly salary under the Act from INR 50,000 per month to INR 30,000.
- It made it mandatory for employers to register all such employees who drew a gross monthly salary of not more than INR 30,000 per month.
The Deputy Chief Minister and Jannayak Janta Party (JJP) leader, Dushyant Chautala, tweeted that the government will continue to fight for employment opportunities of Haryanvi youth, using the #75% reservation hashtag.
We will continue to fight for employment opportunities of Haryanvi youth #75%reservation
— Dushyant Chautala (@Dchautala) February 3, 2022
Employment of Local Candidates Act: Benefits
- The act will pave the way for a 75% reservation for local candidates in private jobs with a monthly salary ceiling of INR 50,000.
- The act is applicable to all companies, societies, trusts, limited liability partnership firms, partnership firms employing ten or more persons, but excludes the central government or the state government, or any organization owned by them.
- Under the act, the local candidates will also get INR 30,000 as gross monthly salary or wages for registration.