New Delhi, 7 February 2022 – As per the latest media reports, to get admission into central universities like Delhi University (DU), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), and Banaras Hindu University (BHU), students will now have to take the Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET). This is being done to streamline the admission processes as many educational boards gave grace marks during the pandemic and central universities wanted a merit-based way to provide admissions.
Media reports further suggest that the Ministry of Education (MoE) will release an official notification regarding the CUTET exam next week, and will also announce the exact exam dates and registration details for the same.
As per an anonymous senior official from the Ministry, “The dates and details are likely to be announced by the end of next week. The expert committee of the University Grants Commission is finalising the details and the ministry is also coordinating with all the 42 central universities.”
Table of Contents
Central Universities to Conduct CUCET – Major Details
- The entrance exam will be conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- NTA will conduct the exam in different languages like English, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, among others.
- CUCET will be conducted on the basis of the existing syllabus of Class 12. It will consist of a computer-based test and will contain two sections – common aptitude test and domain-specific test.
- The entrance exam is supposed to be conducted in the months of June-July; however, the exact dates and details of the exam are likely to be announced by the end of next week by the Ministry of Education (MoE).
- Candidates who pass the test will be able to secure admissions in central universities like DU, JNU, and BHU.
Central Universities to Conduct CUCET – What Happened Before?
- On 17 December 2021, Delhi University’s Executive Council (EC) gave approval for conducting the CUCET for admissions to its several undergraduate programmes from the 2022 academic year.
- In mid-January, the Jawaharlal Nehru University, in its 159th academic council, took the decision to conduct CUCET for admissions from the 2022 academic year.
- Other central universities like Banaras Hindu University (BHU) and Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) have also passed the mandate to conduct CUCET from the 2022 academic year.