New Delhi, 2 November 2022, UGC Fee Refund: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has released an official notice, addressing all Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs), to refund the full tuition fees of students who have withdrawn their undergraduate admission applications before 31 October 2022.
As per the notice, the entire fee collected from the students should be refunded after deducting only INR 1,000 as a processing fee.
UGC Fee Refund – Aim
After the COVID-19 pandemic, students and parents reached out to the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) to request fee refunds.
The UGC fee refund policy was implemented by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 2020 with the aim of easing the financial burden off the shoulders of parents. Under the policy, students can now avail full refund of fees on account of cancellations of admission, and migration of students up to 31 October 2022.
UGC Fee Refund – Guidelines to be Followed by the Universities
- The institute will not make it mandatory for any student to purchase the college prospectus.
- The caution money and the security deposit money shall be refunded entirely.
- The prospectus should have all the UGC norms for the fee refund details mentioned.
- All the institutions should mention the details on their official website about their college, courses, fees, submissions, and applications so that the candidate can make a well-planned choice.
- The institutes cannot collect the entire fee of the course in advance.
If the candidates decide to withdraw from the course, then the institute shall follow the below-mentioned time period for the fee refund:
|Refund of Fee
|Less than 15 days
|Not more than 18 days
|30 days or less
UGC Fee Refund – Norms for Original Documents
- No institute shall ask the candidate to submit their original documents at the time of admission.
- Candidates must submit self-attested copies of their personal documents.
- Candidates can carry the original documents during physical verification, but the documents should be returned immediately.
- In case of non-authentic documents, the institute can contact the document-issuing authority for verification.
UGC Fee Refund – Actions Against the Universities
The institutes must follow the rules and regulations announced by the University Grants Commission (UGC) to prevent any disciplinary action against them.
The actions that will be taken against the institutions are listed below:
- The institute will be considered ineligible for further assistance.
- The notification of the institution being ineligible would be published in the national newspaper.
- The university would be contacted to cancel the affiliation of the university.
Note – To read the official notice issued by the University Grants Commission (UGC), please click here.
UGC Fee Refund – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 What are the guidelines issued by the UGC for the refund of fees?
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued guidelines that state that 100% of the fees, including all the charges, should be refunded to those who have cancelled admissions or migrated by 31 October 2022.
Q2. Can I get a refund if I cancel my admission?
Yes! Within 15 days, you can give a letter to the college authority regarding the cancellation of the admission. The university will grant a refund within 15 days.
Q3. Can I cancel my admission after 1st semester?
Yes, it is possible to cancel the admission after the commencement of the first semester.