New Delhi, 6 December 2022 – The rising cases of Omicron virus across the country has led to several states closing their schools and colleges. Due to this, schools are instructed to continue taking classes using the online mode of education. A number of states including Maharashtra, Delhi, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, among others, have announced the closure of schools & colleges. Some of them have closed schools for a few weeks, while others have closed institutions until further notice.
The aim behind the shutting down of schools and colleges is the need to protect students from the outspread of the virus as well as to avoid any further increase in cases. Delhi remains the first state to announce the closure of all schools followed by states like Haryana and Maharashtra.
Note: Although several states have closed their schools amidst the Omicron scare, these institutions will be continuing classes through the online mode, so that students do not incur any learning loss.
Table of Contents
Which States Have Closed Schools and Colleges Due to Omicron?
Till now, here are the states that have closed their schools and colleges due to the increase in Omicron cases:
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Tamil Nadu
Omicron State-Wise School Closure Dates
- Maharashtra: Schools have been closed till January end while colleges have been closed till 15 February 2022, until further notice.
- Delhi: Schools have been declared closed from 3 January 2022 till further orders from the government.
- Haryana: All schools and colleges in the state are closed till 12 January 2022.
- Tamil Nadu: Schools are closed for classes 1 to 8 till 10 January 2022.
- Odisha: Schools are not closed in the state but classes for primary-level students have been deferred.
- West Bengal: Schools and colleges are closed till further notice.
- Rajasthan: Schools closed in Jaipur till 9 January 2022.
- Bihar: Schools in Patna have been declared closed till 8 January 2022.
- Telangana: Schools in Telangana will remain shut from January 8 to 16, 2022.
- Jharkhand: All schools and colleges are shut down till 15 January 2022.
- Goa: Schools and colleges are shut in the state till 26 January 2022.
- Punjab: Schools and colleges have been shut down till 15 January 2022.
Uttar Pradesh: Schools in Noida, Ghaziabad, Hapur, and Greater Noida have been shut down for 15 days, from 31 December 2021 to 14 January 2022.