New Delhi, 28 October 2021 – In line with the New Education Policy (NEP) 2021, the government has launched an integrated Bachelor in Education (BEd) programme for students. The course will take four years to complete and candidates will be able to get either a BA, BSc, or BCom along with a BEd degree. The programme is set to start from the 2022 academic session and the government aims to establish it as the minimum degree required for teaching by the year 2030.
Talking about the course, the Ministry of Education stated, “The course will contribute substantially to the revitalization of the whole teacher education sector. The prospective teachers passing out of this course through a multi-disciplinary environment, grounded in Indian values and traditions will be instilled with the needs of 21st century on global standards, and hence, will be largely helpful in shaping the future of New India.”
Table of Contents
Four-Year Integrated BEd: Students Can Still Opt for Traditional 1-2 Year Programmes
Along with the integrated BEd programme, students still have the option of taking one and two-year BEd courses. The two-year BEd will be available for candidates who have a Bachelor’s degree, while the one-year BEd will be offered to only those students who have either completed the equivalent of a four-year multidisciplinary Bachelor’s degree or who have a Master’s degree.
Four-Year Integrated BEd: Major Points
- The programme will commence from the academic session 2022-23.
- The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) has created the curriculum for this course under the leadership of the Ministry of Education.
- The course will enable a candidate to get a degree in education along with a specialised discipline like history, arts, economics, mathematics, science, or commerce.
- The four-year integrated BEd course will also offer a specialisation for the education of ‘gifted children’.
- Admission for the BEd course will be carried out by the National Testing Agency (NTA).