NTA or National Testing Agency conducts the IGNOU OPENMAT exam twice a year (July and January). By qualifying this entrance test, candidates are able to take admission to IGNOU’s MBA/PGDM programmes. This year, the OPENMAT test will be conducted in more than 100 cities in India.
IGNOU OPENMAT 2020 was conducted in CBT or Computer Based Test mode. The question paper contained 200 questions and the candidates were given 180 minutes to attempt all the questions.
Buddy4Study has compiled and updated all the information in this IGNOU OPENMAT article so that aspiring candidates can get a better idea of what they can expect from this entrance test.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Key Highlights
It is essential for candidates who have registered and applied for the IGNOU OPENMAT exam to prepare for the exam with the right strategy. Here are a few key points that they should keep in mind:
UGC NET Key Highlights
|Exam name||Indira Gandhi National Open University Open Management
Aptitude Test (OPENMAT XLVII)
|Exam Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours or 180 minutes|
|Examination Mode||CBT/Computer Based Test (Online)|
|Medium of Exam||English only|
|Type of Questions||Objective/Multiple-Choice (MCQ)|
|Number of Questions||200|
|Allotment of Marks||
Total Marks – 200
|Marking Scheme||+1 for Every Correct Answer
No Negative Marking for Incorrect Answers or Unattempted Answers
|Age Criteria||No age limit|
|Mock Test Preparation||https://www.nta.ac.in/Quiz/Home/Login?PaperID=218|
IGNOU OPENMAT – Important Dates and Events
NTA has announced a few important events and their dates for the IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII 2020 exam.
IGNOU OPENMAT Exam Dates 2020
|Availability of IGNOU OPENMAT application form||28th February 2020 onwards|
|Last date to fill the OPENMAT application form||30th June 2020 by 5 PM (extended)|
|Last date for application fee payment||30th June 2020 (by 11:59 PM)|
|Online Form Correction Window||6th July 2020 to 20th July 2020|
|IGNOU OPENMAT Admit Card Release||3rd September 2020|
|IGNOU OPENMAT 2020 Exam Date||15th September 2020|
|IGNOU OPENMAT Result 2020||To be Announced|
IGNOU OPENMAT – Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who apply for IGNOU OPENMAT have to fulfil the predetermined eligibility criteria to register and sit for the exam. The below table will highlight the eligibility criteria of IGNOU OPENMAT in terms of educational qualification and age.
Educational Qualifications for IGNOU OPENMAT
|Age Limit||There is no age limit for admissions|
Courses Offered through OPENMAT
From a list of management programmes (available through IGNOU OPENMAT), candidates can opt for their preferred course before registering themselves for the OPENMAT entrance test. The different management programmes under IGNOU OPENMAT 2020 are listed below:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management (PGDOM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Markets Practice (PGDFMP)
Note: The programmes mentioned above are offered via a countrywide network of study centres affiliated with IGNOU. The university enrols candidates for the above-mentioned Management Degrees or Diplomas through the IGNOU OPENMAT.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Application Form
IGNOU OPENMAT application process 2020 comprises online registration, application and fee payment. The foremost thing candidates need to do is register themselves for the exam. They need to visit the official IGNOU OPENMAT website, register themselves, fill up the application form and submit it after paying the application fee.
Candidates can find below the detailed steps to fill the IGNOU OPENMAT application form correctly.
Step 1 – Online Registration
- Visit the official NTA website
- Click on ‘Application Form for OPENMAT XLVII‘
- Enter the information asked in the Registration Slot.
The information to be filled includes:
(*names and DOB recorded in the SSE or equivalent Board/ University Certificate)
|Generate Password (Change Password)||
- Now enter the Captcha Security PIN shown in the image and click on ‘Submit‘ tab
- The filled-in registration form will appear on the screen. Check and review the details
- Click on ‘I Agree‘ checkbox and ‘Submit’ tab to complete the registration
- Candidates will receive an email in their respective email IDs and confirmation SMSs in their mobile numbers
- Note down the application number and login details
Step 2 – Filling the IGNOU OPENMAT Application Form
After successfully filling the Registration slot, candidates need to complete this step:
- Use the noted application number and password for logging in to the candidate (user) account
- Fill in all the necessary details marks, academic qualification, category (Gen/SC/ST/OBC), choice of University/College
- Candidates need to choose any four cities of their choice as their IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII examination centre from the available drop-down menu
Step 3 – Uploading Documents
Candidates need to upload their recent passport-size photograph and scanned signature as per the specifications mentioned below:
Specifications for Uploading Documents
Important Points to Remember:
- The photograph should not be taken wearing goggles or cap
- Polaroid and computer-generated photographs are not acceptable
- Photos of candidates wearing spectacles are allowed if they use it regularly
- Unclear photographs are liable to be rejected
- Photograph needs to be taken on or after 7th February 2020
- Writing the full name in capital letters would not be accepted as ‘signature’
Step 4 – Payment of Application Fee
Candidates need to pay the registration fee for IGNOU OPENMAT to apply for the examination. Before making a payment, the candidates should carefully read all the eligibility criteria. Candidates must note that the application fee amount is non-refundable.
Before filling up the form, the candidate should make a duplicate copy and fill it up first. Any mistakes or fields left accidentally may lead to the rejection of the IGNOU OPENMAT application form.
The fee structure for IGNOU OPENMAT as per candidate categories are as follows:
IGNOU Application Fee Structure
|SC, ST, EWS||Rs. 600/-|
|UR, OBC-NCL||Rs. 800/-|
Step 5 – Submitting the Application and Confirmation
- Candidates must wait for the payment status after they have paid the application fee.
- Only after the final submission of IGNOU OPENMAT application form is done, a confirmation page appears on the screen. It marks the success of the application fee payment. If the confirmation page does not appear on the screen, it means that the submission of the OPENMAT application form was unsuccessful.
- Later, download the application confirmation page and take 4 print outs of the same for future references.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Application Form Correction Window
After the application/registration window closes, NTA opens the application correction window for 2-3 days. Candidates, during this period, can edit or delete any incorrect or misleading information filled earlier. The online IGNOU OPENMAT 2020 application correction window was open from 6th July 2020 to 20th July 2020.
Candidates can follow the steps below to rectify the details in the application form:
- Visit the official NTA IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII website
- Click on ‘Correction in Application Form for OPENMAT XLVII’
- Enter the application number, password and security pin
- Click the ‘Submit’ tab
- Go to the User dashboard and click on the form correction tab
Candidates must submit the correct information as the details are used at the time of IGNOU OPENMAT result declaration and admission process.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Admit Card
3rd September 2020 is the revised date for the release of IGNOU OPENMAT admit card 2020. Candidates were able to collect/download their IGNOU OPENMAT admit cards by logging into the official IGNOU website.
After the IGNOU OPENMAT admit card download link is made active, candidates have to follow the below-mentioned steps to download their admit cards:
1. Visit the official IGNOU OPENMAT website
2. Click on the ‘Download Admit Card: OPENMAT XLVII‘ button
3. Enter the below-mentioned details:
- Registration ID/ Application No
- Date of Birth
- Security Pin
4. Click on the Submit button
5. This will open the window displaying the OPENMAT admit card 2020. Cross-check the details mentioned on it
6. Download the OPENMAT admit card 2020 and print multiple copies of it for further use
7. Affix photograph as uploaded for IGNOU OPENMAT Application Form
Note: For any error in the OPENMAT admit card (incorrect information, spelling mistake, etc.), candidates must contact the given helpline numbers 0120-6895200 between 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Guidelines for Exam Day
Candidates must follow the online test instructions and guidelines set by UGC NET authority. The test instructions will help the candidates to attempt the computer-based exam without any hassles. Given below is a list of online test instructions set by the IGNOU panel that candidates need to abide by:
- The candidate/s must report at the examination centre at least an hour before the allotted exam time
- The candidate/s must compulsorily bring the admit card (hard copy). The test centre officials will verify it and then allow the candidate to sit for the examination.
- Admit cards must be in good condition. Dismantled, disfigured or mutilated admit cards compromising the details of the candidate will not be accepted
- A seat with Roll Number will be allotted to each candidate. They should find and sit on their allocated seats only
- No baggage is allowed inside the examination hall
Candidates need to carry any one of the original Photo ID Cards specified below (not their xerox copies) along with the admit card:
- Aadhar card
- Voter ID card
- PAN card
- Driver’s license
Note: Xeroxed, scanned or digital photocopy of the admit card is unacceptable as a valid document
What can you carry inside the IGNOU OPENMAT exam centre?
- A hard copy of admit card
- Pencil and eraser
- Black or Blue ballpoint pen
- Photo ID Proof
What can you NOT carry inside the IGNOU OPENMAT exam centre?
- Instruction sheet
- Mobile phone
- Mathematical/Log Tables
- Digital Watch
- Loose sheets of paper
- Expensive items
- Electronic gadgets
IGNOU OPENMAT – Mandatory COVID-19 Guidelines
- Social distancing was maintained strictly at the exam centres. Candidates had to maintain at least 6 feet or 2-metre distance from other candidates.
- Exam authority ensured that monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam, desk, chair, etc. were thoroughly sanitised.
- A significant gap had to be present between two seats inside the exam hall.
- Hand sanitizers were present at the entrance door and various places inside the exam centre for both candidates and the staff.
- Invigilators distributed rough sheets to candidates wearing gloves.
- To avoid crowing, exam room numbers were not displayed outside the centre.
- Exam centres kept stock of fresh masks to ensure hygiene and stop unfair means during the exam.
- Candidates violating COVID-19 directives/advisories were not allowed to sit for the exam
- Candidates were allowed to leave the test centre one at a time to avoid the rush and maintain social distancing.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Exam Centres
IGNOU conducts the IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII 2020 entrance examination in more than 100 centres via online mode. The exam centre allotted to each candidate is printed on their respective admit cards. Please note that the candidates cannot make the changes once the preferred centres are submitted by them during the application process.
IGNOU OPENMAT Exam Centres
|Test Zone||Test Centre Locations/Areas|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Naharlagun/ Itanagar|
|Andaman and Nicobar||Visakhapatnam
|Jammu & Kashmir||Srinagar
Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai
Noida/ Greater Noida
IGNOU OPENMAT – Exam Pattern
Candidates who have registered and applied for the exam should go through the exam pattern thoroughly and practice well with the help of online mock tests before attempting the exam. Here are a few key points that they should keep in mind.
1. IGNOU OPENMAT will be conducted in CBT mode (online)
2. 200 questions are asked in the exam
3. Questions asked are multiple choice or MCQ-type
- All questions have 4 options
4. There is no negative marking in UGC NET exam
5. IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII exam is conducted for 3 hours or 180 minutes
6. The exam is conducted in morning shift only, i.e., between 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM
OPENMAT Exam Pattern
|Test Sections||Subjects||Maximum Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Test I||General Awareness||30||30|
|Test II||English Language||50||50|
|Test III||Quantitative Aptitude||50||50|
|Test IV||Reasoning Ability||70||70|
IGNOU OPENMAT Marking Scheme
|Type of Answers||Marks Allotted|
|Unattempted question||No marks awarded or deducted|
|Wrong Answer||0 (No Negative Marking)|
IGNOU OPENMAT – Syllabus
IGNOU OPENMAT syllabus is divided into 4 segments. It comprises 200 national-level questions on General Awareness (30 marks), English Language (50 marks), Quantitative Aptitude (50 marks) and Reasoning Ability (30 marks).
Candidates can find below all the important topics related to each subject covered in the prescribed syllabus of OPENMAT XLVII 2020.
|General Science||People & Places||History of India|
|General Knowledge||General Economic Study||World Organizations|
|Sports Events||Countries||Democratic Polity|
|English Comprehension||Synonyms||Idioms and Phrases|
|Sentence Improvement||Choose Analogous Pair||Pair of Words|
The quantitative aptitude section is designed to test the general aptitude and numerical reasoning of students. Candidates should start brushing up the basics of 9th and 10th grade Mathematics (8th to 10th Standard Mathematics books from NCERT).
|Table||Ages||Permutation and Combinations|
|Algebraic Equations||Square Root||Profit and Loss|
|Average||Probability||Problems on Train|
|Clocks and Discount||LCM and HCF||Time and Work|
|Logarithms||Percentage||Mixture and Allegation|
|Area and Parameter||Calendar||Pipes and Cisterns|
|Volume and Surface Area||Decimals and Fractions||Number System|
|Analytical Reasoning||Blood Relations||Ranking Test|
|Cubes and Dice Questions||Number Analogy Test||Direction And Distance|
|Decision Making||Complete Word Analogy||Number Series Test|
|Logical Diagrams||Number Test||Letter Series Test|
|Logical Reasoning||Mixed and Substitution Coding||Letter Test|
IGNOU OPENMAT – Recommended Books
Candidates need to prepare well from the topics highlighted as per the IGNOU OPENMAT syllabus to score well in the upcoming entrance test.
Buddy4Study advises candidates to prepare well for their upcoming exam with the help of the below-mentioned books that are recommended by candidates who cracked the exam successfully in the previous years.
IGNOU OPENMAT Books for all 4 Sections
|NTA IGNOU OPENMAT Entrance Exam Guide Book||Neeraj Publications|
|GPH OPENMAT Management Entrance Guide||Gullybaba Publications|
|BOOK HIVE INDIA RESOURCE BOOK TO MBA IGNOU (OPENMAT)||BHI EDITORIALS|
|STUDY MATERIALS FOR IGNOU OPENMAT||Saurav Sir’s classes|
|A Perfect Solution of Management Entrance Exam/OPENMAT||Suraj|
|Objective General English||S.P. Bakshi|
IGNOU OPENMAT Books on Quantitative Aptitude
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination||Abhijit Guha|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination||RS Agarwal|
IGNOU OPENMAT Books on General Awareness
|Book Name||Publication/ Author|
|Manorama Yearbook||The Malayala Manorama (Mammen Mathew)|
IGNOU OPENMAT Books on Reasoning Skills
|Book Name||Publication/ Author|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||R. S. Aggarwal|
|A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning||R. S. Aggarwal|
IGNOU OPENMAT Books on the English Language
|Book Name||Publication/ Author|
|High School English Grammar||Wren and Martin|
|OXFORD Practice Grammar||John Eastwood|
Online Preparatory Resource for the English Language
My English Pages Website (Free Grammar Lessons) – CLICK HERE
IGNOU OPENMAT – Answer Key
UGC NET and NTA will release the preliminary answer key on the official IGNOU OPENMAT website after the exams are conducted. Candidates can download the answer key, which will be available in PDF format. They can calculate their probable scores with the help of the answer key and response sheet, much before the results are declared.
Candidates who have taken the test can raise objections against the preliminary answer key if they find any discrepancy or error in one or more answers. Candidates will have to pay Rs. 1000 per question as objection fee to file their objection/s.
After the exam authority evaluates and rectifies the errors in the preliminary answer key (if the objections are found genuine), the rectified final answer key shall be released. Candidates whose objections are found genuine will be refunded the objection fee. Candidates cannot raise objections against the answers published in the final answer key.
IGNOU OPENMAT – Result
For now, the schedule for UGC NET result declaration remains unannounced. The exam authority will release the result on the official website in due time. Once the notification for the results is out, candidates can check their results online by using their registration number and date of birth.
Candidates must download a copy of their result and verify the details highlighted below:
- Name of the candidate(Spelling)
- Application Number
- Roll number of the candidate
- Date of birth of the candidate
- Category of the candidate
- Section-wise distribution of the marks obtained by the candidate
- The total marks scored by the candidate in the exam
- Merit Rank
IGNOU OPENMAT – Counselling
Only those candidates who clear the IGNOU OPENMAT cutoff score will be allowed to take part in the OPENMAT counselling procedure. IGNOU OPENMAT counselling is conducted in different centres only after the results are announced and the merit list is prepared.
The counselling is generally organized on weekends, i.e., Saturday and Sunday. The IGNOU OPENMAT counselling sessions are conducted as per the schedule decided by the Study Centre Coordinator.
Candidates must carry the documents that they had previously submitted during the IGNOU OPENMAT application process. The OPENMAT counselling 2020 will have 6 sessions, which will last for 2 hours and 30 minutes for each course. The counselling will be held in the form of a face-to-face interview.
Documents Required for Counselling
Candidates must take the following list of documents with them to the IGNOU OPENMAT Counselling procedure.
- Original and attested copies of certificates in support of the candidate’s educational qualification/s (candidates must take Class 10, Class 12 and Graduation mark sheets)
- Counselling Letter
- 2 Passport Size Coloured Photographs
- IGNOU OPENMAT 2020 Admit Card
- Original Migration Certificate
- Caste Certificate (If applicable)
- Printout of IGNOU OPENMAT result
- Demand Draft for Rs. 15,000/- (First-year admission fee) drawn in the favour of IGNOU)
IGNOU OPENMAT – FAQs
How many times is IGNOU OPENMAT conducted in a year?
IGNOU OPENMAT entrance test is conducted twice every year.
What is the age limit for IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII exam 2020?
There is no university-specific age limit for candidates who wish to appear for IGNOU OPENMAT XLVII.
What is the duration of IGNOU OPENMAT exam?
The exam duration is 180 minutes (3 hours) without any break.
How many questions will be asked in the IGNOU OPENMAT exam?
A total of 200 questions will be asked in the IGNOU OPENMAT exam.
How will I know if I have registered for OPENMAT 2020 successfully?
Candidates will receive a confirmation SMS and email if they are registered successfully for IGNOU OPENMAT 2020.
How can I download my IGNOU OPENMAT admit card?
Candidates need to visit the official IGNOU OPENMAT website and enter their IGNOU OPENMAT login credentials, i.e., registration ID and date of birth to download the admit card.
Where can I check the IGNOU OPENMAT answer key?
The answer key will be made available by the NTA and IGNOU authority on their official website.
Is there any negative marking in IGNOU OPENMAT 2020?
No. There is no negative marking for any wrong answer. Candidates can attempt all the questions without worrying about negative marking.