XAT counselling takes place for the candidates who have made it to the final merit list on the basis of their scores in the Xavier Aptitude Test and other selection rounds like Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Candidates must keep in mind that each participating institute conducts its own counselling procedure and there is no centralized process of XAT counselling. To participate in XAT counselling, candidates need to follow a three-step process including registration, choice filling and locking, and final seat allotment.
XAT 2021 aims to select talented students for management programs offered by more than 150 institutes. Read on to know more about XAT 2020 counselling, steps for registration, documents required and selection criteria.
XAT Counselling 2021 – Important Dates
|XAT 2021||Jan 1st week, 2021|
|XAT Result 2021||Jan 4th week, 2021|
|Release of XAT 2021 Cut-off||Jan 4th week, 2021|
|XAT 2021 Selection Procedure||February-March 2021|
Table of Contents
- XAT Counselling – Procedure
- XAT Counselling – Documents Required
- XAT Counselling – Selection procedure
- XAT Counselling – Admission Process for each XLRI Programme
- XAT Counselling – Weightage for the Final Selection
- XAT Counselling – Group Discussion
- XAT Counselling – Personal interview
- XAT Counselling – FAQs
XAT Counselling – Procedure
Once the candidates qualify the XAT 2021 cut off, they become eligible to take part in the selection rounds of different colleges. The process for XAT counselling can only be done online. The steps involved in the XAT counselling process are:
Step 1 – Registration for Counselling
- To appear for XAT counselling, all the selected candidates are required to register for it.
- This registration will be done online on the official website of your preferred college (by providing the required credentials).
- After this, the candidates have to make the necessary fee payment.
- It is important to note that the fee varies as per the institute.
Step 2 – Filling and Locking the Choices
- Once the registration is complete, candidates get an option to choose their preferred course in the institute.
- Select the course and lock the option of your choice.
- It is important to note that no alterations can be done at later stages. The locking of choice once done, will be considered full and final.
Step 3 – Final Seat Allotment
- The final allotment will be done on the basis of choices filled by the candidate.
- The candidates rank in the merit list as well as the seat availability status also plays a major role in the final seat allotment.
Note: Once the process of XAT counselling concludes, candidates have to report at the allocated venue for the Document Verification Process.
Read More:- XAT Syllabus – Changes in Syllabus & Exam Pattern, Important Topics
XAT Counselling – Documents Required
- Original and xerox copy of the counselling letter
- Original and xerox copy of XAT 2021 admit card
- Bank draft (as per the guidelines mentioned in XAT 2021 brochure)
- Academic certificates (class 10, 12 and bachelor’s degree)
- Rank card
- Scorecard (if applicable)
- Caste certificate
- Medical documents
- 4 to 6 passport size photographs, both in colour as well as black and white
XAT Counselling – Selection procedure
- The selection process of different institutes vary from each other
- Overall abilities of a candidate are tested
- Selection after XAT will be a two-step process, including:
- Group Discussion
- Personal Interview
XAT Counselling – Admission Process for each XLRI Programme
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Business Management (PGDM-BM):
Stage 1: Shortlisting based on the XAT score
Stage 2: Next stage is Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI). The duration of a GD typically is 30 minutes, with 8-10 participants.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – General Management (PGDM-GM):
Stage 1: Shortlisting on the basis of XAT or GMAT score.
Stage 2: Personal Interview in-person or online (G-Talk/Skype) for overseas candidates.
PGDM (BM), Part-Time (JSR):
Stage 1: Shortlisting based on an aptitude test (which consists of class 10th-level questions on quantitative ability, English language skills, and logical reasoning). Candidates may be required to provide the scores of credible MBA examinations in which they may have appeared.
Stage 2: Personal Interview (PI) at XLRI Jamshedpur
1. Post Graduate Diploma in Management-Global MBA (PGDM- MBA):
- Shortlisting based on XAT or GMAT score.
- Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI).
2. Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Human Resources Management (PGDM- HRM):
- Shortlisting based on XAT score.
- Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI). The GD typically lasts for 30 minutes, with 8-10 participants.
Once these rounds conclude, the total score for the final selection is calculated. This is done on the basis of weightage given to several assessment components such as:
- XAT score
- Essay writing
- Past academic records
- Work experience
- The overall profile of the candidate
XAT Counselling – Weightage for the Final Selection
|Essay, GK, academic profile, work-ex, video||15%|
XAT Counselling – Group Discussion
In the GD round, candidates are divided into groups of 8-15 participants. The number of candidates in a group depends on the number of candidates shortlisted and the number of GD rounds in total. A topic is then given to every group to discuss. Every group discussion lasts for 15-20 mins.
Group Discussion – Guidelines
- Use the time before the GD to make some quick notes.
- During the discussion, stick to your topic, make sure that you are audible and don’t panic if the GD room becomes a fish market.
- Use soft and politically correct language to keep the points forward.
- Don’t use unnecessarily complicated words. Choose simple and correct language.
- Talk to the entire panel instead of talking only to the person who asked the question.
- Maintain the decorum of the discussion and try to bring order if any commotion occurs.
- Sit straight and be active. Don’t slouch or hunch and keep a good posture. Don’t intrude in other’s space and maintain decency. Gestures using hands must be limited to your space and should be made close to your chest.
- Don’t be shy to speak and don’t keep waiting for your turn. Make at least some contribution to the GD to avoid getting eliminated. The start and end of the discussion is a good place to start.
- Keep your knowledge updated and be aware of the latest current affairs. Issues concerning society, culture, politics, business, education etc. are popular GD topics.
XAT Counselling – Personal interview
Personal Interview (PI) is the last stage of the XAT admission process. It has questions about the candidate’s background, academics, achievements, and motivation behind going for an MBA. The objective of PI is to analyse the strengths of the candidate, check his/her communication skills and confidence.
Personal Interview – Guidelines
- Be confident and relaxed. Remember, the panellists are sitting with the intention to know you better. Take your time and give your answer in a relaxed manner.
- Greet the panelists and maintain decent behaviour.
- Make your own resume and be well-versed in it. You should be able to talk about anything mentioned in your resume.
- Be honest and don’t try to bluff the interviewers. Always tell the trust in an interview. If you don’t know the answer to a question, admit that and apologize.
- All interviews are not the same and a long interview doesn’t mean a good interview. Similarly, a shorter interview does not mean elimination.
- Smile as much as you can and try to keep a calm face.
XAT Counselling – FAQs
✔️ What are the steps involved in the selection process conducted by XAT participating colleges?
After the XAT cut-offs are announced by the colleges, qualifying candidates go through the following rounds:
1. Group discussion
2. Personal interview
✔️ What are the documents required for the XAT counselling session?
Following documents are required on the day of counselling:
- Original counselling letter along with a photocopy of counselling letter
- Original and xerox of XAT 2021 admit card
- Bank draft as per the guidelines mentioned in XAT 2021 brochure
- Academic Certificates (class X & XII; Bachelor’s Degree)
- XAT 2021 Rank Card
- Scorecard (if applicable)
- Caste Certificate
- Medical documents
- 4-6 Passport size photographs in colour and black & white
✔️ How much weightage do GD and PI hold in the final admission through XAT?
GD and PI hold 25% weightage of the total marks in the XAT admission process.
✔️ When will the selection procedure start for XAT 2021?
The exact dates for the selection procedure of XAT 2021 have not been declared yet, but tentatively, the selection processes for different colleges will be done between February to March 2021.