Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) administers KCET counselling for granting admission in various engineering, medical, and architecture courses offered at KCET participating colleges. The KCET counselling process includes the following steps:
- Document verification
- Choice filling
- Seat allotment
- Final reporting at the allotted college
While document verification and final reporting is conducted in-person, the other KCET counselling processes i.e. choice filling and seat allotment are held online. Candidates have to visit the designated KCET helpline centres for document verification.
Further, the KCET counselling procedure is segregated in two rounds and one special round (only if the seats remain vacant). Candidates who qualify the cut off released by the KCET member colleges are invited for KCET counselling. The seat allotment is based on candidates’ marks in KCET, their college preferences & category, seat availability, etc. For more details about the KCET 2020 counselling process, go through the article below.
Table of Contents
- KCET Counselling – Important Dates & Sessions
- KCET Counselling – Step-wise Process
- KCET Counselling Rounds
- KCET Counselling – Seat Reservation
- KCET Counselling – Participating Institutes
- KCET Counselling – FAQs
- ✔️ What is the mode of KCET counselling 2020?
- ✔️ How many rounds are there in KCET 2020 counselling?
- ✔️ What if I fail to bring any document at the designated centre for KCET counselling document verification?
- ✔️ How many colleges participate in KCET counselling?
- ✔️ Is it mandatory to appear in person for the document verification process during KCET 2020 counselling?
KCET Counselling – Important Dates & Sessions
Due to COVID-19 outbreak, the authority has postponed the examination dates of KCET to July 30 and July 31, 2020. Moreover, the schedule for other KCET events like result, cut off, counselling, etc. is yet to be declared by KEA.
KCET counselling 2020 would be conducted in four shifts on each of the scheduled dates. The table given below mentions the four counselling shifts along with their timings:
|KCET Counselling Sessions||Timings|
|Forenoon Session -1||9:15 AM – 11:00 AM|
|Forenoon Session -2||11:15 AM – 1:15 PM|
|Afternoon Session -1||2:00 PM – 4:00 PM|
|Afternoon Session -2||4:15 PM – 6:15 PM|
The schedule for KCET 2020 counselling is as under:
|Counselling commencement & document verification||To be notified|
|Option entry||To be notified|
|Mock allotment||To be notified|
|Round 1 seat allotment declaration||To be notified|
|Reordering/modification/deletion of choices for Round 2||To be notified|
|Round 2 seat allotment||To be notified|
|Second extended round – option entry||To be notified|
|Seat allotment in second extended round||To be notified|
Read More :- KCET Syllabus – Subject-wise Topics, Exam Pattern, Important Books
KCET Counselling – Step-wise Process
Karnataka Examination Authority will issue an official notification on its website mentioning the KCET 2020 counselling details such as date, time, venue, procedure, and list of necessary documents for verification purpose. Let’s discuss about the complete process of KCET counselling:
Step 1: Document Verification for KCET Counselling 2020
Applicants need to visit the designated KEA helpline centres for verification of their documents in person. Please note that candidates must carry both original and photocopies of their certificates during the verification process for KCET counselling. The process of document verification is as under:
- It is mandatory to carry the original and printed copies of the necessary certificates and documents.
- After the verification procedure, the concerned authority will provide a secret key and document verification slip to all the candidates for entering their course and college preferences.
- KEA is accountable for releasing the list of eligible candidates after the verification process. Candidates need to visit the official website i.e kea.kar.nic.in to check the list.
Documents to be presented for verification:
- KCET scorecard
- KCET admit card
- Printout of KCET application form
- Marksheets of class 10th & 12th
- Copy of Challan (for fee payment)
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Disability certificate (if applicable)
- Two latest passport size photographs
- Study Certificate authorized by BEO or DDPI
- Aadhar Card
- Residential proof
- Domicile proof
- Income certificate (for supernumerary)
- Minority Certificate (for NCC or Sports or CAP)
Addresses of KCET Helpline Centres for Document Verification
|Karnataka Examinations Authority, 18th Cross, Sampige Road, Malleswaram, Bengaluru‐560012|
|Bapuji Institute Of Engineering & Technology Pb No. 325, Shamanur Road, Davanagere‐577004|
|Govt Polytechnic, Fort Hospet Road, Bellary‐ 583 102|
|College Of Agricultural University Lingsugur Road, Raichur‐584 104|
|PDA College Of Engineering Aiwan‐E‐Shahi Area, Kalburgi|
|B L D E A’s V.P. Dr. P. G. Halakatti College Of Engineering & Tech Ashram Road, Vijaypur‐586 103|
|Jain College Of Engineering, 5999/2, T.S Nagar, Hunchanatti Road, Machhe, Belgaum – 590014.|
|Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College Of Engineering, Dhavalagiri, Dharwad‐580 002.|
|Girijabai Sail Institute Of Technology, Utkagali, Adj. To Border Check Post Nh 17, Majali Village, Karwar‐581345|
|Sahyadri College Of Engineering And Management, Adyar, Mangalore ‐575007|
|Jawaharlal Nehru National College Of Engineering, Navula, Savalanga Road, Shimoga 577 204|
|Government Engineering College, Opp. Dairy Circle, B.M.Road, Hassan‐573 201|
|Vidya Vardhaka College Of Engineering, 3rd Stage, Gokulum, Mysore ‐ 570 002.|
|Siddaganga Institute Of Technology Campus Department Of Mba, Tumkur|
|Gurunanak Dev Engineering College Mailoor Road, Bidar|
|Shree Jagadguru Gavisiddheshwar Ayurvedic Medical College Gavimath Campus, Koppal‐583 231|
Click here to download the list of designated KCET helpline centres for document verification.
Step 2: Choice Filling for KCET Counselling 2020 (Option Entry)
After successful verification of the documents, the authority provides a secret key and document verification receipt to candidates. With the help of this key, applicants can visit the web portal meant for KCET counselling and login to fill their course and college preferences.
After inputting the preferences, candidates need to lock their choices without any error. KEA facilitates applicants to modify or edit their locked preferences within a certain specified time. Candidates should not overlook the below given points while performing the option entry process:
- Candidates must select the options like course, college, category, discipline etc. carefully while filling their preferences.
- They can opt for multiple options (college & course) on the basis of their position in KCET merit.
- Candidates must read the instructions of the option entry process thoroughly before locking the choices.
Step 2: Seat Allotment through KCET Counselling 2020
In this step, candidates will get the allotment order for admission in any of their preferred institutes. Seat allotment through KCET counselling is determined by the factors like performance of the candidates in KCET exam, rank, category, seat availability, reservation criteria, etc.
KEA will update the round-wise seat allotment status on its website. The KEA seat allotment process includes the following steps:
- Seat allotment is performed in three KCET counselling rounds – first, second and second extended round.
- Based on candidates’ preferences of courses, streams and colleges, the authority will allot the seats to the candidates.
Note – KCET helpline centres (mentioned in step 1) impart a proper training session for candidates on how to lock college and courses preferences to ensure that they can perform the process smoothly.
Step 4: Reporting at the Allotted Institute
Once the KCET seat allotment process gets over, the concerned authority/college issues a provisional admission letter with enrollment number to candidates who are allotted seats. They need to carry the same admission letter along with some other mandatory certificates and bank challan of applicable admission fee while reporting at the allotted college.
Note – Necessary documents while reporting at allotted college are as same as the documents presented at helpline centre for verification. Candidates just need to add their ‘Provisional Admission Letter’ to their document folder.
KCET Counselling Rounds
KCET counselling process is conducted online in two rounds. In case the seats remain vacant after the second round of KCET counselling, an extended second round is also organized. The major highlights about the KCET counselling rounds are mentioned below:
- Participants who fail to attend the first round of KCET counselling can appear in the second round.
- Also, candidates who cannot make their place in the first round of counselling stand a chance to qualify the KCET cutoff for the second round.
- Participants have to pay the counselling fee only once. Those who pay the KCET counselling fee in the first round of counselling need not make the payment again (if they are not allotted a seat in the first round) to participate in the second round.
- In case a candidate gets a seat after the first counselling round but wants to change the course or college, he/she can participate in the second counselling round after depositing a certain amount.
KCET Counselling – Seat Reservation
In KCET 2020, total 48 categories have been marked as reserved categories by the Karnataka Government and KEA. Some of these include NCC, Sports, SC, ST, OBC, physically disabled, J & K migrants, supernumerary quota, etc.
Category-wise Seat Reservation in KCET 2020
|Category||Reservation of seats|
|Rural Candidates||15% (Government Seats)|
|Kannada medium||5% (Government Seats)|
|Migrants of J & K||One seat (in each institute or college)|
|OBC/ ST/ SC- 1, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B||–|
|Defence Personnel of Karnataka Region||10% (reservation in engineering institutes)|
|Special Sports Category||–|
|Scouts and Guides||–|
|Supernumerary||5% (reservation in engineering institutes)|
What is the Supernumerary Quota (SNQ) in KCET?
All candidates (including candidates belonging from general category) with a family income of less than Rs 6 lakh per annum are entitled to receive the benefits under SNQ. A total of 5% seats are reserved under this quota only in the KCET participating engineering colleges. Karnataka Government has also directed the colleges to waive off tuition fee for candidates belonging to SNQ
KCET Counselling – Participating Institutes
There are approximately 204 government and private colleges across Karnataka that take part in KCET counselling process.The authority provides admission to KCET counselling participants on the basis of their KCET score. Depending upon their choice, candidates lock their college preferences in the option entry stage of KCET counselling.
Click here to check the list of KCET participating institutions.
KCET Counselling – FAQs
✔️ What is the mode of KCET counselling 2020?
The different stages of KCET 2020 counselling will be held in both online and offline mode. For the process of document verification, applicants need to visit the designated helpline centres in person while the option entry round and seat allotment will be conducted online.
✔️ How many rounds are there in KCET 2020 counselling?
KEA conducts KCET counselling in three rounds - Round 1, Round 2, and Extended Round 2. The last round i.e. extended round is performed only if the seats remain vacant in any of the KCET participating colleges.
✔️ What if I fail to bring any document at the designated centre for KCET counselling document verification?
Candidates need to carry all the necessary documents and certificates in original at the designated verification centres, else their nomination for further KCET counselling rounds will get cancelled.
✔️ How many colleges participate in KCET counselling?
Around 204 Karnataka-based government and private colleges participate in KCET counselling to allot seats to the candidates as per their KCET score and course & college preference.
✔️ Is it mandatory to appear in person for the document verification process during KCET 2020 counselling?
Yes, KEA has made it mandatory for all the shortlisted candidates to visit the verification centres personally. No third party or any representative is allowed on behalf of the candidate.