Joint Entrance Exam or JEE Main is a national level screening test conducted each year to offer admission into B.E, B.Tech, B.Plan and B.Arch programmes. Department of Higher Education, MHRD has entrusted the responsibility of conducting Joint Entrance Exam or JEE (Main) to the National Testing Agency (NTA) from 2019 onwards. The exam is applicable for admission to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, and the applicants should have secured at least 75% marks in their class 12th examination. The JEE main exam is also an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), which an applicant has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the UG programmes offered by the IITs. The students who succeed in having their names in the top 2.5 lakh ranks get eligible for JEE advanced exam.
Coronavirus outbreak has affected people globally and for our safety and health, the Government and health authorities have advised ‘social distancing’ and other sanitary practices from this deadly disease. Schools and colleges have been shut down in all major cities and all the major competitive exams have been cancelled or postponed to further notice. Before you read details on the JEE Main exam, check out the latest updates below.
Table of Contents
- JEE Main 2020 Latest Updates
- JEE – Exam Highlights & Time Table
- JEE – JEE Main Registration Statistics
- JEE – Main Exam, Syllabus, Result & Cut off
- JEE – FAQs
- ✔️ How can I apply for the JEE Main April exam?
- ✔️ Can I edit the test centre after submitting the application form of JEE Main?
- ✔️ How many papers are conducted in JEE Mains?
- ✔️ What is the way to download the JEE Mains admit card?
- ✔️ Is the JEE Main conducted online or offline?
- ✔️ How has the Corona pandemic affected the competitive exams and education in India?
JEE Main 2020 Latest Updates
JEE Main 2020 Exam Date announced!
As per the latest announcement made by HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal, the JEE Main exam for 2020 will now be held between 1st September 2020 and 6th September 2020.
JEE Main Exam NTA reopens the Application form correction window
As the JEE Main exam dates are extended to the 1st week of September, NTA has reopened the the Application form correction window for the JEE Main aspirants. Candidates will now be able to make changes in any information of their respective application forms till 15th July 2020.
JEE Main Admit Card to be issued after 15th April 2020
As per the public notice issued by the NTA, the admit cards of JEE Main examination will be available for downloads from at least 2 weeks prior to the JEE Main exam. Thus, Candidates may expect the admit cards for the JEE Main 2020 (September session) to be be released in the later half of August 2020.
JEE Main Application Registration Closed
Registration closed on March 12, 5 PM. Payment made possible until midnight.
JEE Main registration deadline extended
Last date for registration was extended to March 12, 2020. Application form correction facility dates were revised and it will be available between March 13-16, 2020.
Exam Time duration changes for physically diable students
Candidates with benchmark disabilities will be allowed additional time (1 hour) in the JEE Main exam.
Application Image correction deadline started
Authorities started JEE Main 2020 photo correction facility.
JEE Main (April Session) Application Announced
The application form of JEE Main 2020 was released. NTA announces to conduct JEE (Main) April-2020 Examination for admission to Undergraduate Programs in NITs, IIITs and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs), etc.
Applicants who have appeared for JEE Main Jan session and would like to improve rankings can apply for the April session. The best of the two NTA scores will be evaluated for the final merit/rankings.
JEE – Exam Highlights & Time Table
JEE exam is conducted by NTA twice a year. The exam duration is 3 hours and the mode of the exam is online. We have highlighted some of the features of the JEE exam in the given table.
JEE Main 2020 Exam
|Name||Joint Entrance Exam|
|Number of times held||Twice a year|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Number of test takers||11,47,125|
|Colleges who accept JEE score||1608|
For the January session, application forms were available in the month of September 2019.
- Last date to apply for January session was October 10th, 2019
- Registration for the test practice centres was open from August 10th to December 29th, 2019
- Payment of application fee, uploading of signature and photograph deadline was October 11th, 2019.
- Application form correction window was from October 14th to 20th, 2019
- Admit card was issued to the applicants on December 6th, 2019
- JEE Main for January exam was held from January 6th to 11th 2020
- Answer key for the exam was released on January 13th, 2020 and declaration of final results were made on January 17th, 2020.
For the April session some changes have been made by the MHRD.
According to MHRD recent notification, JEE Main 2020 April Session (now September session) will be now be conducted from 1st September to 6th September 2020.
- Application forms for the April session were made available from 7th Feb 2020.
- Last date for the application and fee payment was 12th March 2020.
- Admit card will be released 2 weeks prior to the exam date (17th August 2020 tentatively).
- The official date for the release of Answer key will be notified shortly on the official website of ‘NTA’.
- The result date for the JEE Main 2020 (September session) will be announced shortly by the exam authority.
JEE – JEE Main Registration Statistics
The NTA has released the numbers for the registration of the JEE main exam and one can find that the numbers have raised in 2020, as compared to 2019.
- 9,58,619 applications were received by NTA for JEE in 2019 and this year 11,18,673 have registered for the same.
- This time, a new category called EWS (Economically Weaker Section) was introduced and it was found that 81,413 EWS applicants had registered for the exam.
- JEE Main paper will be separate for each subject including B.Arch, B.Plan, and BE/BTech.
- Number of examination centres have been reduced to 233.
- The total number of questions in the examination have been reduced to 75.
- The examination fee was increased for general and reserved categories.
JEE Main Admit Card
NTA has issued a notice that the admit cards for the JEE Main 2020 (September session) will be released at least 2 weeks prior to the exam date. As the exams are now scheduled to be conducted in the 1st week of September 2020, candidates may expect the admit cards to be released in the third or fourth week of August 2020.
Generally, basic steps to download JEE Main 2020 Admit Card are:
- Visit the official website
- Download admit card by entering application number and password and date of birth
- After entering the above details, your admit card will be displayed on the screen
- Download, save and take a print out
JEE – Main Exam, Syllabus, Result & Cut off
In this section, we will briefly describe the exam pattern, syllabus, results and cut-off.
|Total Questions||BTech – 75 BArch – 77
BPlan – 100
|Total marks||Paper 1 – 300 Paper 2 – 400
Paper 3 – 400
|Exam sections||BTech – 3 (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics)BArch – 3 (Drawing, Mathematics, and Aptitude)
BPlan – 3 (Mathematics, Aptitude, and Planning Based Questions)
|Marking||Correct Response – (+4)Incorrect Response – (-1)|
Check their official website for detailed syllabus for paper 1, 2 and 3. To check the results on the date when they will be released, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of JEE Main or NTA to check JEE Main results
- Click the tab ‘View Result/Scorecard‘
- Enter your JEE Main Application Number, password/date of birth and security pin
- Submit the required details and proceed to next step
- Results will be displayed online on the screen.
Read for further details on JEE Main Results
After the results are declared, the cut off will be announced. JEE Main cutoff can be classified into two types – qualifying cut off and admission cut off. The qualifying cut off comprises minimum marks required for qualifying for JEE advanced exam.
Read more on JEE Main Cut off
JEE – FAQs
✔️ How can I apply for the JEE Main April exam?
JEE Main application forms are available on the official website of the exam. Candidates were able to submit the application form from February 7 to March 12, 2020 for the April session.
✔️ Can I edit the test centre after submitting the application form of JEE Main?
You will not be allowed to edit the test centre and examination mode after submitting the application form.
✔️ How many papers are conducted in JEE Mains?
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted for three papers - BTech, BArch and BPlan.
✔️ What is the way to download the JEE Mains admit card?
You can visit the website and on the date of issuance of admit card, login with your application number and password and download the admit card.
✔️ Is the JEE Main conducted online or offline?
JEE Mains is conducted via Computer Based Test (Online mode) only.
✔️ How has the Corona pandemic affected the competitive exams and education in India?
As per education experts the world over, e-learning is expected to grow in the form of live broadcasts, educational influencers, and even virtual reality. Online learning will be an integral part of daily lifestyle.