CLAT (Combined Law Admission Test), is regarded as one of the most prominent law-oriented entrance exams in India. Recently, the Consortium of NLUS, the governing body of the exam, conducted a meeting and decided to postpone the CLAT 2022 exam. The law entrance exam was previously scheduled to be conducted on 7th September 2022. The CLAT 2022 will now be conducted on 18th December 2022. It is crucial to know that CLAT is a centralised entrance exam for not only the 22 highly reputed national law universities in India, but the scores of CLAT is also accepted by 43 other education institutes for admission to their UG programmes. Thus, it becomes quite essential for all aspiring students who wish to pursue law to know everything about this important exam.
Thus, if you are seeking all the relevant details about the CLAT exam, this is the place to be at.
This article would provide all the essential and authentic information regarding the Eligibility, important dates, Application process and structure of the CLAT 2022 Exam.
Important Update- ‘Consortium of NLUs recently released a notification on their official website regarding the changes in the Schedule of CLAT 2022. The CLAT 2022 which was previously scheduled to be conducted on 7th September 2022 has now been postponed. Hence, the CLAT 2022 will now be conducted on the 18th of December 2022 in the CBT (Computer Based Test) mode rather than the Pen and Paper mode. The decision is taken by ‘The Consortium of NLUs with concern for the safety of the students against the Covid 19 Pandemic and also due to lockdowns in places like Bihar and West Bengal. All the facilities regarding the safety of the candidates such as Thermo Gun, Sanitizing Gun and Isolation wards will be made available at the test centres.
Table of Contents
- CLAT – What is the CLAT exam?
- CLAT UG – How to apply for the exam?
- CLAT UG – Importance of Admit Card
- CLAT UG – Courses Offered
- CLAT UG – FAQ’s
CLAT – What is the CLAT exam?
Earlier, CLAT was conducted in a rotational cycle by all the national law universities till the year 2021. It was in the year 2022, when a governing body comprising official representatives from all National Law Universities was formed to conduct the CLAT Exam. The headquarters of the consortium is located in Bangalore. The entrance exam comprises an objective-type question pattern. As there are limited seats in the NLUs which include elite institutions like the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) Bangalore and National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) Hyderabad, the admission is held on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in the entrance exam.
CLAT UG – How to apply for the exam?
- Aspiring candidates may apply for the CLAT 2022 on the official website of the Consortium of NLUs.
- Fill in the essential information like your mobile number, email ID and password, and you will receive an OTP on your mobile phone and move on to the next step.
- Fill in the relevant details considering your academic, personal and other required details.
- You must upload the scanned copies of the required documents, photographs and signature as per the indications.
- After filling all the necessary details on the application form, candidates must pay the exam fee as per the guidelines
Fees for General /OBC/ PWD/ NRI/ PIO/ OCI Candidates- 4000 INR
Fees for SC/ST Candidates- 3500 INR.
Note- The admit card would soon be available on the official website of “Consortium of NLUs
CLAT UG – Importance of Admit Card
The CLAT examinees do not only need to carry the admit card on the day of the exam but it is also compulsory for them to carry the admit card on the day of the counselling. If the examinee, in any case, does not carry his/her admit card, he/she won’t be considered eligible for the admission. Thus, it is crucial to keep the admit card in proper conditions and also keeping it in a safe place.
CLAT 2019 Cut off table – (Round-Wise)
|National Law University||CLAT CUTOFF (Round-1) Rank||CLAT CUTOFF (Round-2) Rank|
|National Law School of India University, Bangalore||54||57|
|National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, Hyderabad||119||128|
|National Law Institute University, Bhopal||326||361|
|West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences, Kolkata||203||226|
|National Law University, Jodhpur||294||351|
|Gujarat National Law University, Gujarat||417||461|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala||805||919|
CLAT 2018 Cut off College-Wise
|Institution||First Cut off||Closing Cut-Off|
CLAT UG – Eligibility for the Undergraduate students
- There is no age limit implied by the authorities for the UG Programme in 2022.
- Candidates are eligible to appear for the CLAT 2022 UG Programme, only if he/she has secured a minimum score in 10 + 2 or any other equivalent exam.
Minimum marks required for General /OBC/ PWD/ NRI/ PIO/ OCI categories- 45 % Marks.
Minimum marks required for candidates belonging to Schedule caste and Scheduled Tribe- 40% Marks.
- Students appearing in the qualifying 10 + 2 Exam may also appear in the CLAT 2022 examination provided that they submit their authentic passing marksheet of the qualifying examination at the time of the result. If in any case, they are not able to submit the copy of the result, they won’t be considered eligible for the admission.
- It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit the result of qualifying exam (10 + 2) at the time of the admission, their candidature would be cancelled if they are not able to submit the desired documents.
CLAT UG – Format of the CLAT 2022 Exam for Undergraduate Students
- Total Questions – 150 Questions carrying 1 marks each
- Duration of the CLAT 2022 Exam- 2 Hours ( 3 PM to 5 PM)
- Questions Type- There would be 150 objective type questions.
- Negative Marking (IF any)- A deduction of 0.25 marks on every wrong attempt.
Structure of the Question Paper (UG)
|English Language||About 20 % of the total number of questions|
|Current Affairs (General Knowledge)||About 25 % of the total number of questions|
|Logical Reasoning||About 20 % of the total number of questions|
|Legal reasoning||About 25 % of the total number of questions|
|Quantitative Techniques||About 10 % of the total number of questions|
CLAT UG – Courses Offered
Following are the courses which are available in the 22 National Law Universities and other private institutions for Law associated with the CLAT 2022.
- Bachelor of Arts LLB
- Bachelor of Science LLB
- Bachelor of Commerce LLB
- Bachelor of Business Administration LLB
- Bachelor of Social Work LLB
|Important Dates||CLAT 2022|
|Applications open from||8th August 2022|
|Last date of submitting the application form||13th November 2022|
|Admit Card available from||Yet to be announced|
|CLAT 2022 Exam Date||18th December 2022|
|Revealing of the Provisional Answer Key||Yet to be announced|
|Declaration of the Result||Yet to be announced|
Some Important Tips to Ace the CLAT 2022 Exam
- Regular Practice: – It is crucial for the students to work smart rather hard, when the exam is round the corner. Emphasize on the weightage of the topics and try to get the maximum out of your forte. Make sure to prepare according to the weightage of the topics rather than recklessly focussing on one topic.
- Check on negative marking- This is the most crucial aspect of the competitive exams which students often misjudge. The cut-off marks of the top NLU”S are extremely rigid and students must know the value of every single mistake, which eventually becomes a difference between success and failure. Thus, try to make as few mistakes as you can.
- Prepare a realistic goal for yourself- It is crucial for students to recognise their potential and study accordingly. Some exam strategies would work for you and not for others and vice-versa. Thus, try to prepare according to your comfort zone and don’t stress yourself before the day of the CLAT 2022 Exam Day.
CLAT UG – FAQ’s
Q. How can you apply for the CLAT 2022 exam?
You can apply for the CLAT 2022 exam on the official website of the Consortium of NLUs. Enter your mobile number, email-id and password to create an account. Fill in the personal and academic details in the application form.Submit the scanned copies of the required documents like academic results, photographs and signature. After completing the form, pay the examination fee for the exam.
Q. When will the admit cards be available?
Admit cards will be available soon on the official website of the “Consortium of NLU”. Keep a check on the website and other authentic sources.
Q. What is the difficulty level of the CLAT Exam?
CLAT Exam for the UG students is considered moderately difficult and if students have solid foundation on concepts in subjects pursued in Class 12th, then they can certainly score good marks in the exam. For the graduate exam, the level is slightly enhanced and candidates must prepare the core structure of the Law specializations.
Q. What is the mode of the CLAT 2022 exam?
The mode of the CLAT 2022 exam is now swithced. The CLAT 2022 will now be conducted in CBT mode instead of Pen and Paper mode