New Delhi, 29 July 2022 – The University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided to offer more than 23,000 free UGC courses on its new higher education portal. These courses will constitute 23,000 postgraduate courses, 25 non-engineering SWAYAM courses, and 137 SWAYAM MOOC courses in emerging areas.
All of the abovementioned courses will be offered free of charge to enhance “the accessibility of higher education in remote parts of the country”, says UGC. The portal will be launched today – Friday (29 July) – and will include programmes in nine languages.
These programmes include artificial intelligence (AI), cyber security, biomolecules: structure function in health & disease, early childhood care & education, animation, and many more.
Free UGC Courses – Overview
|Free UGC Courses to Students via New Higher Education Portal
|No. of Courses
|More than 23,000
|29 July 2022
|Language of Instruction
|Hindi, Tamil, Bangla, Marathi, Gujarati, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, and English (nine in total )
|How to Access Courses?
|Portal Launched By
|UGC and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
|To be Updated
Free UGC Courses – Important Details
- The UGC portal for the free courses will be launched as a part of the second anniversary of the National Education Policy 2020.
- To do so, the commission is working in collaboration with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- To offer the courses on the portal, the ministry will integrate the e-resources along with their Common Service Centres (CSC) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) centres on the UGC free courses portal.
- UGC has designated 7.5 lakh CSCs and SPVs that will help impart these courses for the 2022-23 academic session.
- There are a total of 23,000 postgraduate courses, 137 SWAYAM MOOC courses, and 25 non-engineering SWAYAM courses on the free UGC course portal.
- The courses will be made available in nine languages – Hindi, Tamil, Bangla, Marathi, Gujarati, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, and English.
- Students can use these free UGC courses to gain knowledge about the subjects they are learning in college or to take upto 40% credit of the courses and store them in the Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) system.
- The commission will also offer degrees through its Digital University, when the university is launched. For now, students can earn 40% of their course credits from these free courses.
Note: Since some of these will also be SWAYAM 2022 courses, candidates can register for the SWAYAM 2022 semester exam, which is required to get the certificate of the course. The registration process for the exam is currently ongoing.
How to Access the Free UGC Courses?
Students can access the free UGC courses in two ways:
- Directly: Through their smartphones
- Indirectly: By visiting the Common Service Centres (CSC) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) centres located near them.
How to Access Free UGC Courses Directly?
To do so, the candidate needs:
- A smartphone, tablet, or laptop/computer.
- A stable internet connection.
Once these two things are procured, the candidate can:
- Visit the free UGC courses portal
- Create a new account for free
- Get access to the courses
- Start studying
How to Access Free UGC Courses Indirectly?
This method can be used if the candidate does not have a smartphone and stable internet connection. In such a case, they can visit the nearest Common Service Centres (CSC) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) centres located in their villages, towns, and cities.
Since there are 7 lakh 50 thousand of these centres around the country, candidates will be able to find them easily.
These centres are being managed by local entrepreneurs, also known as village level entrepreneurs (VLEs). The centres have computers and internet connectivity that students can benefit from. Although there are no charges for accessing the courses, the student has to pay a fee of Rs 20 per day (or Rs 500 per month) to use the computers and the internet facility at the centres. This is done so as to reimburse the VLEs efforts and cost of their infrastructure.
Note: The address of these centres and how to reach them will be provided on the portal once it is live. Students can also visit the CSC official site for more information.
How will the UGC free courses be offered?
The courses will be offered either in text or video formats on the free higher education portal. Students will be required to log in to take the online lessons.
Are there any free courses offered by UGC?
Yes! UGC will now be offering more than 23,000 free courses on its new higher education portal. These courses will be offered free of cost and help candidates develop their skills and knowledge in a wide array of subjects ranging from technical to artistic.
How can I access UGC free courses?
Candidates can access the courses offered directly through their smartphones. If the candidates do not have access to smartphones, tablets, or computers, they can visit the nearest Common Service Centres (CSC) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) centres located in their villages, towns, and cities.
Do I need to pay for UGC courses?
The courses offered by UGC on its new higher education portal are all 100% free. However, a user needs to pay a fee of Rs 20 per day (or Rs 500 per month) to use the computers and the internet facility at the UGC Common Service Centres (CSC) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) centres. This is only required if the student does not have direct access to a smartphone (or tablet/laptop). If the candidate has a smartphone and internet connection, he/she can access the courses directly at no additional cost.
Will I get a certificate after the completion of the UGC course?
If the course opted for is a SWAYAM course, then candidates have to appear for a proctored examination at designated centres to get the certificate. The registration for the exams is currently ongoing, candidates can learn more by visiting exam.buddy4study.com/swayam.