State Bank of India (SBI) organizes the recruitment process for the post of Probationary Officer (PO) every year across the country. Lakhs of applicants aspire to become a PO in SBI as it is one of the most coveted and reputed jobs in the banking industry.
The selection procedure includes three stages, namely:
- SBI PO Preliminary Exam
- SBI PO Mains Exam
- Group Exercise and Personal Interview
Important Update: Due to COVID-19 disruption, the SBI PO recruitment process is delayed this year. The conducting authority is expected to publish the SBI PO recruitment advertisement in July 2020.
A graduation degree in any stream is the basic qualification needed to appear for the SBI PO recruitment exam. Eligible candidates can fill and submit the SBI PO application form (expected to be released in July 2020) online on the official website (sbi.co.in).
SBI PO Prelims exam holds the weightage of 100 marks and examinees are given 60 minutes to solve the question paper. On the other hand, SBI PO Mains exam is segregated into two parts – Objective Test (155 questions) and Descriptive Test (2 questions). The duration of the Mains exam is 3 hours.
Candidates are required to qualify each round (stated above) of the recruitment process separately to qualify for the subsequent round. However, the final merit shall be decided on the basis of participants’ performance in SBI PO Mains exam and GE-PI round.
Prospective candidates can apply for SBI PO 2020 after gaining insights into complete application procedure, eligibility, exam pattern, call letter issuance, selection process, etc. through this article.
Table of Contents
- SBI PO Notification – Details Included
- SBI PO – Key Highlights
- SBI PO – Important Dates
- Who is eligible to apply for SBI PO 2020?
- SBI PO – Application Form
- SBI PO – Pre-Exam Training
- SBI PO – Admit Card
- SBI PO – Exam Centres
- SBI PO – Exam Pattern
- SBI PO – Syllabus
- SBI PO – Exam-Related Guidelines
- SBI PO – Preparation Tips
- SBI PO – Recommended Books
- SBI PO – Result
- SBI PO – Cutoff
- SBI PO – Selection Process
- SBI PO – Final Merit List
- SBI PO 2020: Number of Vacancies and Reservation
- SBI PO – Frequently Asked Questions or FAQs
- ✔️ How can I register for the SBI PO recruitment process?
- ✔️ Is it mandatory to retain the printout of SBI PO application form?
- ✔️ Where can I find the call letters of SBI PO Prelims, Mains and GE-PI rounds?
- ✔️ Do I get the intimation regarding the SBI PO admit card release on my email ID?
- ✔️ How many stages are involved in the SBI PO selection process?
- ✔️ What if I fail to bring photo ID proof while appearing for the SBI PO exam?
- ✔️ How can I access SBI PO Prelims, Mains and GD-PI results?
- ✔️ What is the medium of SBI PO written exam?
- ✔️ How much weightage is assigned to the GE-PI marks in the final SBI PO merit list?
- ✔️ Can I choose the branch of my preference after final selection through the SBI PO recruitment process?
SBI PO Notification – Details Included
SBI PO will release its official notification online in July 2020, tentatively. Some crucial details mentioned in its notification include:
- Schedule of various events related to SBI PO recruitment
- Details of application process and fee payment
- Number of vacancies for various categories and their reservation details
- Eligibility criteria
- Detail on the three phases of selection process
- Exam pattern
- Exam-related instructions
- Information regarding pre-exam training, etc.
SBI PO – Key Highlights
- State Bank of India recruits ‘Probationary Officers’ for its various branches across India every year
- SBI holds the right to designate the finally selected candidates anywhere across India, considering their preferences
- SBI reserves the authority to cancel the candidature of ineligible candidates at any stage without seeking any permission or issuing any advance notice
- SBI PO Prelims is the qualifying exam while the aggregate marks in Mains and GE & PI are considered for final selection
- Candidates can check the official website of SBI, i.e. ‘bank.sbi/careers’ or ‘sbi.co.in/careers’ for various latest updates
SBI PO – Important Dates
SBI will release the actual schedule of SBI PO related events in July 2020 (expectedly). Till then, aspirants can check the below given tentative dates of various events:
Events Calendar for SBI PO 2020
|Release of SBI PO official notification||July 2020|
|SBI PO application form release||July 2020|
|Deadline to submit application form||August 2020|
|Issuance of pre-examination training call letter||To be notified|
|Pre-examination training||To be notified|
|Issuance of SBI PO Prelims admit card||To be notified|
|SBI PO Preliminary exam||To be notified|
|Prelims result declaration||To be notified|
|Issuance of SBI PO Mains admit card||To be notified|
|SBI PO Mains Examination||To be notified|
|Mains result announcement||To be notified|
|Call letter for Group Exercise and Personal Interview||To be notified|
|GD – PI round||To be notified|
|Final result declaration||To be notified|
Who is eligible to apply for SBI PO 2020?
Candidates aspiring to apply for SBI PO must meet the below given eligibility criteria defined by the conducting body. SBI reserves the right to cancel the candidature of those who fail to fulfill any of these conditions:
Candidates holding any of the following nationality statuses can apply for the SBI PO exam:
- Those who are the citizens of India or
- Those who are a subject of Bhutan or Nepal
- Those who fall under the category of PIO or Person of Indian Origin and came from countries like Burma, Pakistan, Zaire, Uganda, Kenya, etc. and settled in India
- Those who are Tibetan Refugees and came to India before January 01, 1962 to settle permanently
Note – Candidates belonging to the categories mentioned in point 2, 3, 4 must have a certificate of eligibility issued by the Govt. of India in their favor.
- The age of the applicants must fall between 21 years to 30 years
- As per the government norms, there is an age relaxation for reserved category candidates.
Category-wise Age Relaxation in SBI PO Exam
|SC (Schedule Caste)/ST (Schedule Tribe)||5 Years|
|Kashmiri Migrants (with domicile of J&K from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 1989)||5 Years|
|People from families affected in 1984 riots||5 Years|
|Other Backwards Classes (OBC) from Non-Creamy Layer*||3 Years|
|Persons with Disabilities (PWD) – SC or ST||15 years|
|PWD – General or EWS||10 years|
|PWD – OBC||13 years|
|Emergency Commissioned Officers, Ex Servicemen or Short Service Commissioned Officers who have been in the military service for 5 years and completed their assignment and have physical disability||5 years|
*Candidates belonging to the OBC category with a family income of less than Rs. 8 lakh per annum can avail benefits under OBC-NCL category.
The SBI PO eligibility norms in terms of academic qualification are as follows:
- Applicants must have completed graduation/any other equivalent course in any stream from a Central/State recognized Government college/university
- Students who are in the final year of graduation are also eligible if they furnish their graduation passing certificate at the time of GE & PI round
- Professionals like ‘Chartered Accountants’ are also eligible to apply for SBI PO
- Integrated Dual Degree or IDD certificate holders must have passed the course on or before August 31, 2020
- Candidates need to provide the details of marks obtained in graduation in the form of percentage which should be calculated up to two decimal points
SBI PO – Application Form
Every year, SBI releases the application form in the month of April. However, the notification is delayed this year due to the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic. Candidates can expect the commencement of SBI PO registration process from July 2020.
Only the eligible aspirants can proceed to fill the SBI PO application form that is made available online. The steps involved in the application process include online registration, uploading of scanned documents, filling of details, fee payment and taking print out of the filled application form.
How to fill SBI PO application form 2020?
Necessary steps to complete SBI PO application process are as under:
- Registration – Browse the official website of SBI (sbi.co.in) and tap on the link ‘New Registration for SBI PO’. Once the page is displayed, fill your basic details like name, mobile number, email ID and security code to register successfully on the portal.
- Generating login credentials – The system generated registration number and password is sent to your registered email ID. These are your login credentials which are used at the time of filling the application form online
- Application Process –
- Uploading signature and picture: During the application process, upload your scanned signature and photograph as per the format specified in the table below.
Document Specification for SBI PO Application Form
|Document Type||File Size||Pixel Size||Format|
- Filling in information: While filling the application form, you must provide correct information (as published on your certificates) like name, address, academic qualification, date of birth, etc. SBI may cross check the information provided by the applicants anytime during the recruitment process.
- Rechecking the details: Preview button allows rechecking the details in the application form and making necessary changes if required. No correction facility is available once you submit the form.
- Paying the application fee: Application fee payment is the last and crucial step as the authority may reject the application if you fail to pay the given fee amount through proper channels.
- Taking print out/s: Take the printout of SBI PO application form acknowledgement page and fee receipt, as you need to present the same at the time of GE & PI round
SBI PO Application Fee
SBI PO application fee is non-transferable and non-refundable in nature. Candidates can use digital modes like net banking, debit or credit card to pay the fee amount.
Category-wise SBI PO Application Fee
|SC or ST or PwD||Rs 125 (intimation charges)|
|General or OBC||Rs 750 (fee plus intimation charges)|
SBI PO – Pre-Exam Training
Pre-examination training is basically organized for the candidates who fall under SC, ST or Religious Minority Community and cannot join coaching institutes for SBI PO exam preparation due to financial constraints. SBI follows the instructions of the Government of India while conducting this training program of 6 days at some specific centres. The training sessions include an orientation programme wherein some important SBI PO exam training sessions are conducted.
SBI PO Pre-exam Training Centres
|Panaji (Goa)||Port Blair||Patna|
SBI PO – Admit Card
SBI issues separate admit cards or call letters for all the three phases of exam i.e. Preliminary, Mains and Group Exercise & Personal Interview. Candidates can access SBI PO admit card after completing the registration and application process. Registration number and password are required to download the admit card online on the official website of SBI. As admit cards are the source of all exam related vital information, candidates must read the details carefully and report for any error or discrepancy, if required.
SBI PO admit card consists of the details like name of the applicant, roll number, registration number, test centre name, address, timing, exam related guidelines etc. It is the mandatory for the applicants to carry one photo identity proof along with SBI PO call letter at the test centre, failing which the invigilator will restrict them from entering the examination hall.
SBI PO – Exam Centres
The tentative list of test centres for SBI PO 2020 Preliminary & Mains exams is as under:
|States & UTs||Test centres for Preliminary exam||Test centres for Mains exam|
|Chhattisgarh||Bhilai, Bilaspur, Raipur||Raipur|
|Gujarat||Ahmedabad, Anand, Gandhinagar, Himmatnagar, Jamnagar, Mehsana, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara||Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar|
|Haryana||Ambala, Bahadurgarh, Hissar, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Panipat, Palwal, Sonipat, Yamunanagar||Bahadurgarh, Hissar|
|Himachal Pradesh||Baddi, Bilaspur, Dharamshala, Hamirpur, Kangra, Kullu, Mandi, Shimla, Sirmaur, Solan, Una||Shimla, Solan,|
|Jammu & Kashmir||Jammu, Kathua, Samba, Srinagar||Jammu, Srinagar|
|Jharkhand||Bokaro, Dhanbad, Hazaribag, Jamshedpur, Ranchi||Jamshedpur, Ranchi|
|Karnataka||Belgaum, Bengaluru, Bidar, Gulbarga, Hubli, Mangalore, Mysore, Shimoga, Udipi||Bengaluru|
|Kerala||Alappuzha, Kannur, Kochi, Kollam, Kottayam, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Palakkad, Thrichur, Thiruvananthapuram||Kochi,Thiruvananthapuram|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, Jabalpur, Satna, Sagar, Ujjain||Bhopal, Indore|
|Maharashtra||Amaravati, Aurangabad, Chandrapur, Dhule Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Latur, Mumbai/ Thane/Navi Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nasik, Pune, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara||Aurangabad, Nagpur, Pune, Mumbai/ Thane/ Navi Mumbai|
|Delhi -NCR||Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon||Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon|
|Odisha||Angul, Balasore, Bargarh, Baripada, Berhampur (Ganjam), Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Jharsuguda, Rourkela, Sambalpur||Bhubaneswar,|
SBI PO – Exam Pattern
SBI PO exam pattern contains important details like type and number of questions, mode of test, sections, marking scheme, test duration, total marks etc. SBI PO written test involves Preliminary and Mains examination. The relevant information is given below:
SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern
Preliminary exam consists of 100 objective-type questions to be solved in a time duration of 60 minutes. Go through the table below to get section-wise data:
Sectional Weightage in SBI PO Prelims
|Sections||Number of Questions||Marks||Test Duration (minutes)|
SBI PO Mains Exam Pattern
Mains examination is parted into two phases – Objective Test and Subjective Test. The objective paper includes a total of four sections with 155 questions. On the other hand, the subjective paper assesses letter and essay writing skills of test takers. Get a glimpse of the paper pattern of both the tests through these tables:
Sectional Weightage in SBI PO Mains (Objective Paper)
|Sections||Number of Questions||Marks||Time Duration (minutes)|
|Reasoning and Computer Aptitude||45||60||60|
|Data Analysis and Interpretation||35||60||45|
Sectional Weightage in SBI PO Mains (Subjective Paper)
|Section||Total Questions||Marks||Time Duration (minutes)|
|English Language (Letter & Essay Writing)||2||50||30|
SBI PO Marking Scheme
The marking pattern for SBI PO Prelims & Mains Exam is given below in tabular form:
Marking Scheme of SBI PO Prelims & Mains Exams
|Parameters||Prelims Marking Scheme||Mains Marking Scheme|
|For every correct answer||+1||Not defined|
|For every incorrect answer||-0.25||1/4th of total marks of the question|
|For unattempted questions||0||0|
SBI PO – Syllabus
After fetching necessary details on SBI PO exam pattern, candidates must pay heed to the sections and topics covered in the syllabus of SBI PO.
Syllabus for SBI PO Preliminary Examination
|Data Sufficiency||Vocabulary||Permutation, Combination & Probability|
|Ranking/Directions/Alphabet Test||Paragraph Completion||Work & Time, Sequence & Series|
|Seating Arrangement||Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices|
|Coded Inequalities||Sentence Completion||Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere|
|Puzzle, Coding-Decoding, Tabulation||Miscellaneous||Time & Distance, Number Systems|
Syllabus for SBI PO Mains Examination (Objective Test)
|Reasoning||General/Economy/ Banking Awareness||English Language||Data Interpretation & Analysis||Computer Aptitude|
|Circular Seating Arrangement||Financial Awareness||Vocabulary||Bar Graph||Keyboard Shortcuts|
|Linear Seating Arrangement||Current Affairs||Verbal Ability||Radar Graph Caselet||Computer Abbreviation|
|Double Lineup||General Knowledge||Word Association||Missing Case DI||Microsoft Office|
|Scheduling||Static Awareness||Sentence Improvement||Let it Case DI||Computer Hardware|
|Input-Output||Banking and Financial Awareness||Para Jumbles||Data Sufficiency||Computer Software|
|Blood Relations||Cloze Test||Probability||Computer Fundamentals /Terminologies|
Syllabus for SBI PO Mains (Subjective Test)
Considering the current situation, the below given essay writing topics can be covered:
- COVID -19 Impact on National/International Economy
- Disputes pertaining to Water and other issues
- India China Conflict
- FDI, Gold Monetisation Scheme
- Facts and details about Digital India
- All about Cryptocurrency, etc.
SBI PO exam is conducted online and the authority requires the test takers to follow the below given instructions while appearing for the written examinations:
- Candidates must carry SBI PO admit card along with one valid photo identity proof at the examination venue
- They must reach the exam centre 30 to 35 minutes prior to the test timing
- Candidates bear their own expenses while appearing for the exam and SBI is not accountable for any loss or damage
- Any kind of unruly behaviour inside the examination hall will not be encouraged and may lead to candidates’ disqualification from exam
- Candidates are restricted to carry any communication or electronic devices like cell phones, digital watch, pagers, calculators etc inside the exam centre as there is no arrangement to keep such items safely at the test venue
- Any deviation from these instructions shall result into disciplinary action like cancellation of candidature or permanent ban from future examinations
SBI PO – Preparation Tips
SBI PO preparation requires the candidates to stick to certain tricks and tips as mentioned below:
- Read the complete syllabus and exam structure in detail
- Solve mock tests and previous years’ papers
- Practice time management to finish the papers within the allotted time
- For descriptive test preparation, enhance your English writing skills
- Revise the topics on frequent basis
- Read newspapers and magazines for general awareness
SBI PO – Recommended Books
Recommended books for SBI PO preparation are as follows:
- English for Bank Exams (Prelims and Mains) by S. Chand Publishers
- Comprehensive Guide to SBI PO Exam (Prelims and Mains) by Disha Experts
- A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Agarwal
- How to prepare for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Exams by Arun Sharma
- Lucent’s General Knowledge
- Pratiyogita Darpan (Monthly Edition)
- Banking Awareness by B.K. Publications
SBI PO – Result
State Bank of India declares SBI PO result on its official website separately for all the rounds. Candidates can check SBI PO Prelims, Mains and Final result online in PDF format without any login. Within 7 to 10 days after result declaration, the authority issues individual score cards to the applicants for Preliminary and Mains & GE-PI. Candidates need to login using their registration ID and password to download the score cards online. The details given on SBI PO score card include:
- Name of the candidate
- Roll number
- Registration number
- Date of birth
- Section-wise score
- Aggregate marks
- Category-wise cut off marks
SBI PO – Cutoff
SBI publishes cutoffs thrice during the recruitment process – for Prelims, for Mains and for final recruitment (after GE-PI round). The factors that are considerable for deciding the cutoff includes total number of test takers, available vacancies, difficulty level of test, category, past trends of cut off, etc. Candidates must qualify the Prelims, Mains and GD-PI cutoff scores to secure their names in the final merit list. SBI PO 2020 expected cut off and previous year’s cutoff statistics are discussed in below given tables:
SBI PO Cutoff 2020 (Expected)
|Category||Prelims Cutoff (Out of 100 marks)||Mains Cutoff (Out of 250 marks)||Final Cutoff (Out of 100 marks)|
|General||73 – 80||105 – 113||54 – 61|
|SC||63 – 70||78 – 85||46 – 52|
|ST||54 – 62||83 – 91||44 – 51|
|OBC||69 – 76||96 – 102||49 – 54|
|EWS||70 – 77||101 – 108||50 – 58|
|PWD (LD)||60 – 66||87 – 94||48 – 54|
|PWD (VI)||66 – 72||101 – 109||53 – 61|
|PWD (HI)||15 – 18||76 – 82||34 – 40|
SBI PO Cutoff 2019
|Category||Prelims Cutoff (Out of 100 marks)||Mains Cutoff (Out of 250 marks)||*Final Cutoff (Out of 100 marks)|
*In the final SBI PO cutoff, the scores of Mains and GE-PI rounds are scaled out of 100 with 75% weightage to Mains marks and 25% to GE-PI score.
SBI PO – Selection Process
SBI PO selection procedure involves three stages namely Preliminary exam, Mains exam and Group Exercise & Personal Interview. The outlined description of all the three rounds is mentioned below:
Round 1: Preliminary Test
SBI PO prelims is basically the qualifying exam. It consists of three sections – Quantitative Aptitude, English Language and Reasoning Ability. The paper is objective type with a total of 100 questions. Time allotted to finish the paper is 60 minutes. Candidates need to score at least the SBI PO Prelims cut off marks to qualify for the subsequent round i.e. Mains exam. SBI PO Prelims score is not counted in the final merit list.
Round 2: Mains Examination
SBI PO Mains examination contains Objective and Subjective tests. The mode of exam is online and both tests are held the same day one after the other. Objective paper consists of four sections – Data Analysis and Interpretation, Reasoning and Computer Aptitude, English Language and General/Economy/Banking Awareness. Descriptive test contains two questions of essay and letter writing and the test takers need to complete the same within 30 minutes.
Round 3: Group Exercise & Personal Interview
Candidates are shortlisted for GE-PI on the basis of their aggregate marks in objective and subjective papers of the Mains examination. After the conduct of GE-PI round, SBI prepares a merit list to declare the names of the candidates eligible for final selection. The parameters on which the candidates are assessed during Group Exercise and Interview round include communication skills, logical approach, confidence and overall personality. This part of the selection process carries 50 marks with an overall weightage of 25%.
SBI PO – Final Merit List
The final merit list of SBI PO is based on the aggregate marks obtained by candidates in both Mains and GD-PI rounds. SBI PO Mains examination carries 75% weightage while GD-PI session has 25% weightage in final merit list. Preliminary examination score is not added in the final merit list as it is the qualifying test for Mains. Candidates find their final result in the form of a merit list updated in PDF format on SBI’s website.
Click here to check the final result/merit list of SBI recruitment process 2019-20.
SBI PO 2020: Number of Vacancies and Reservation
Every year, State Bank of India discloses the number of vacancies in its official SBI PO recruitment advertisement. However, the conducting authority can modify the vacancies during the SBI PO recruitment process. SBI is yet to announce the category-wise vacancies for SBI PO 2020 recruitment. The table given below contains the category wise reservation criteria and previous year vacancies:
Number of Vacancies in SBI PO Recruitment 2019
|Categories||Number of Vacancies||Reservation|
|OBC (Non Creamy Layer)||540||27%|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||200||10%|
|General (Unreserved Category)||810||40.5%|
Note – A total of 4% horizontal reservation remains applicable on the total number of available seats every year. In SBI PO 2019-20 recruitment, there were 2000 vacancies out of which 80 seats were reserved for candidates having benchmark disabilities. It means a candidate selected against the PwD category will be placed in his/her respective category by making the necessary adjustments.
SBI PO – Frequently Asked Questions or FAQs
✔️ How can I register for the SBI PO recruitment process?
After ensuring that you meet the SBI PO eligibility criteria, you can visit the website of SBI (sbi.co.in/careers) and tap on link ‘New registration for SBI PO’ in the latest announcement section. Afterwards, enter your basic details like name, contact number, email ID etc. Thereafter, you receive a system generated registration ID and password on your email address.
✔️ Is it mandatory to retain the printout of SBI PO application form?
Yes, candidates must take the printout of the completely filled SBI PO application form as it is required at the time of document verification during the final selection process.
✔️ Where can I find the call letters of SBI PO Prelims, Mains and GE-PI rounds?
The conducting authority (SBI) releases the separate call letters for Prelims, Mains and GE-PI rounds. Candidates have to visit the official portal of SBI to download the same using their registration ID and password (generated during SBI PO registration).
✔️ Do I get the intimation regarding the SBI PO admit card release on my email ID?
No. Candidates need to visit the website of SBI and read the official notification and get the schedule of SBI PO admit card release. The admit card can be downloaded through online mode only.
✔️ How many stages are involved in the SBI PO selection process?
Candidates need to go through three stages of the SBI PO selection process - Preliminary test which is qualifying exam, Mains exam which consists of both objective and subjective tests and lastly, Group Exercise and Interview. It is mandatory to meet the SBI PO cutoff score of each stage to qualify for the subsequent stage.
✔️ What if I fail to bring photo ID proof while appearing for the SBI PO exam?
Candidates should bring their SBI PO admit card along with one valid photo ID proof (Aadhaar Card/PAN Card/Passport/Voter ID, etc.) at the test venue failing which the authorities may restrict them to enter inside the examination hall.
✔️ How can I access SBI PO Prelims, Mains and GD-PI results?
SBI PO result for all the stages is made available on its official website separately. Candidates need not to login to check SBI PO result as it is provided in a PDF format. However, the login is required if the applicants want to download their SBI PO scorecards for Prelims and Mains & GD-PI (final scorecard), which are issued after a few days of result announcement.
✔️ What is the medium of SBI PO written exam?
The objective papers of SBI PO (Prelims & Mains) are available in both Hindi and English languages while subjective test (paper 2 of Mains exam) can be attempted only in English medium.
✔️ How much weightage is assigned to the GE-PI marks in the final SBI PO merit list?
A performance weightage of 25% is given to the GE-PI round while preparing the final SBI PO merit list. The rest of the 75% weightage is given to the Mains examination. The Group Exercise & Personal Interview round carries a maximum of 50 marks.
✔️ Can I choose the branch of my preference after final selection through the SBI PO recruitment process?
No. The authority (State Bank of India) reserves the right to allot any of the SBI branches across the country. However, it does consider the preferences given by the candidates.