New Delhi, 15 February 2022: The Chief Minister of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, laid the foundation stone of a new medical college in Guwahati. It will be constructed at an expenditure of nearly Rs 1,000 crores. The proposed Pragjyotishpur Medical College & Hospital will have two campuses, one at Panbazar and the other at Kalapahar. The Mahendra Mohan Choudhury Hospital (MMCH) at Panbazar and the Kalapahar TB Hospital will be upgraded and made the two sites of Pragjyotishpur Medical College & Hospital .
Note: The project is being implemented at a total cost of Rs 998.30 crores, covering an area of 62 bighas (over 20 acres).
Table of Contents
Pragjyotishpur Medical College & Hospital: Details
- The Kalapahar campus of the new medical college will have 480 beds, 46 intensive care units (ICUs), seven high-tech operation theaters (OTs), and accommodation facility for 450 students and 100 interns.
- The college will provide admission to 100 MBBS students annually.
- The Mahendra Mohan Choudhury Hospital (MMCH) campus will have 800 beds, 100 intensive care units (ICUs), state-of-the-art diagnostic facilities, a dialysis unit, and 11 operation theaters (OTs), among other facilities.
Pragjyotishpur Medical College & Hospital: Aims
- The Pragjyotishpur Medical College & Hospital aims to enhance medical education and healthcare infrastructure in the state and fulfill the medical requirements of Guwahati and nearby areas.
- The aim is to make Guwahati a hub of medical tourism in South East Asia through infrastructure development.
- The state government is focussing on healthcare infrastructure keeping in mind the future demand. Soon, Assam will have 14 medical colleges.
- There is also the possibility of the inauguration of AIIMS at Changsari (Changsari is a town in Kamrup district of Assam, situated on the north bank of the Brahmaputra river) by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in November 2022.
- Assam has emerged as one of the top three most-improved states in terms of increases in value through regular amounts as per NITI Aayog’s Health Index for 2019-20.