National Institute of Fashion Technology or NIFT entrance exam is one of the most sought-after tests amongst students who aspire to take admission in any of the 16 NIFT campuses across India. NIFT entrance exam is conducted in three phases – 1. Written Test (including General Ability Test or GAT and Combined Ability Test or CAT), 2. Situation Test, 3. Group Discussion/Personal Interview. GAT is the first compulsory written test for candidates opting for any of the 5 courses offered by NIFT, including Bachelor of Design (B.Des), Master of Design (M.Des), Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech), Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech) and Master of Fashion Management (MFM). The aspirants seeking admission for B.Des and M.Des courses also have to appear for the CAT exam after giving the GAT exam.
NIFT recently declared the result of the General Ability Test (GAT) for the year 2020. However, the final assessment test known as the ‘Situation Test’ has been postponed amidst the outbreak of the novel Covid 19 pandemic and the official website of NIFT will soon announce the revised dates. The counselling dates will also be rescheduled by the authorities. While the dates for the 2019-20 session of the NIFT entrance exam have been extended, it seems that the scheduled dates for the 2020-21 session won’t experience any changes. The application process is expected to start from the 4th week of October 2020, which makes it quite comfortable for the aspiring candidates (appearing for their 10 + 2 level exam) to apply and prepare for the NIFT entrance exam 2021.
Important Update- NIFT’s governing authority has announced that the NIFT Entrance Exam result for the B.Design will be announced on the 25th June 2020. Due to the outbreak of Covid 19 pandemic, NIFT postponed the date of the remaining ‘Situation Test’ for B.Design aspirants. However, NIFT has now cancelled the ‘Situation Test’ and the final result will be compiled with the help of GAT and CAT (which were conducted previously in the first half of the year). It is crucial to know that the NIFT has already announced the result of NIFT Entrance Exam for B.F. Technology on 13th March
This article would emphasize on the expected schedule of events related to the NIFT entrance exam 2021. It is crucial to know that the official dates will be disclosed on the official website of NIFT in the later half of the year.
Table of Contents
- NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 Schedule – Date of Events (Tentative)
- NIFT Entrance Exam Schedule – Exam Process
- NIFT Entrance Exam Schedule – FAQ’s
NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 Schedule – Date of Events (Tentative)
The application for the NIFT entrance exam usually starts from the end of October every year. The forms can be filled at least 2 weeks prior to the date of the exam (with late fees). It is expected that the NIFT entrance exam 2021 (General Ability Test) may take place in the 3rd week of January 2021, while the results might be released in the first week of March 2021. The final round of the exam (Situation test) may take place after the ‘Release of Call Letter’ in the mid of April 2021. The final results are expected to be released in the last week of May 2021 and will be followed by the counselling process, which may commence from the 1st week of June 2021.
NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 – Important Events and Tentative Dates
|Application starts from||4th Week of October 2020|
|Application Deadline (without late fee)||Last Week of December 2020|
|Application Deadline (with late fee)||1st Week of January 2021|
|Admit Cards available from||2nd Week of January 2021|
|NIFT Exam Date||3rd Week of January 2021|
|Objection Filing (Written Test)||4th Week of January 2021|
|Declaration of the Result||1st Week of March 2021|
|Release of Call Letter (Postgraduate)||2nd or 3rd Week of March 2021|
|Group Discussion/ Situation Test/ Final Interview||Mid-April 2021|
|Final Results||3rd Week of May 2021|
|Counselling starts from||1st Week of June 2021|
You may check all the essential information regarding the eligibility criteria for NIFT entrance at-
NIFT Entrance Exam Schedule – Exam Process
Application Form –
- After satisfying the eligibility criteria, aspiring candidates can apply for the NIFT entrance exam 2021.
- Applicants must ensure that they complete the submission process of the form adequately. Documents like academic certificates, caste certificate (if applicable), personal documents, scanned copies of the photograph and signature are required at the time of registration and application.
- Candidates may pay the fees in either online or offline mode. The offline fee must be issued to the head office of NIFT, Delhi. Candidates may pay the fee according to the regulations provided on the official website of NIFT.
- Do make sure that you take some printouts of the application form after successful enrolment.
Application Deadline (with late fee) –
- Candidates must know that the application process for the exam will not take place after the final deadline for submission.
- Candidates will be penalised with a late fee of INR 5000, if they wish to fill the form after the provisional date of application (without late fee).
Admit Card –
- Candidates must regularly keep a check on the official website of NIFT for crucial updates. The admit cards are generally available on the official website at least 1 week before the date of exam.
- Candidates must fill in their valid email ID and password to download their admit card for the exam.
- Aspirants must check the details mentioned on the admit card and contact the helpline desk of ‘NIFT’ authorities in case of any discrepancy.
NIFT Exam 2021 (GAT, CAT) –
- The NIFT entrance exam 2021 is expected to be conducted in the 3rd week of January.
- It is crucial to know that the students also need to appear for the situation test/GD in the month of April.
- For the Bachelors of Design, the composition of the exam will be – CAT- 50%, GAT-30 % and Situation Test- 20%. On the other hand, the Bachelors of Fashion Technology exam would only consist of the GAT section.
- For the postgraduate exam, 70% of the weightage is given to the GAT and CAT section (combined) and the rest 30% to the situation test.
Filing objections against the provisional answer key –
- After the GAT and CAT exam is conducted, the provisional answer key will be announced by the governing body of the exam.
- Candidates may file objections on the answer key via authentic sources. After evaluating the objections, the exam committee will finally announce the final answer key.
Declaration of the Result –
- Candidates may check the results on the official website of NIFT. They may click on the link mentioning the ‘NIFT exam result’. Instantly, aspirants will be redirected to a page where they must enter their credentials like roll number, registration number and date of birth.
- Candidates must take printout of the result for further processes.
Situation Test –
- Eligible students who will pass the written exam (GAT and CAT) will appear for the situation test.
- This test would specifically judge the skillset of the candidates, which would eventually make them eligible for fashion education. The test is conducted to evaluate the material handling and innovative abilities of the candidates.
- The test is followed by a group discussion which is judged by the jury of professionals.
Final Result –
- The final cumulative result (GAT + CAT + Situation Test) will be announced in the third week of May 2021 (tentative).
- After all of the above process, eligible candidates may finally take part in the counselling session.
- You have to fill the counselling form on the official website of ‘NIFT’ by filling in the credential details like valid email ID, registration or roll number.
- Candidates may fill the choices of preferred colleges.
- Admissions will be solely allotted to the students according to the merit, number of seats available and reservation of seats as well (as per category).
NIFT Entrance Exam Schedule – FAQ’s
Q. When will the application form be available for NIFT entrance exam 2021?
The application forms for the NIFT entrance exam 2021 are expected to be available from the 4th week of October 2021. The confirmed date will soon be available on the official website of ‘NIFT’.
Q. Is the NIFT Situation Test cancelled for the session 2019-20?
Yes, the NIFT situation test has been cancelled for the session 2019-20. NIFT’s exam authority will now compile the final result of the entrance exam for the B.Des with the help of GAT and CAT scores. NIFT has already announced the entrance exam result for the Bachelor of Fashion Technology on 13th March 2020.
Q. Can you pay the registration/application fee of the NIFT exam offline?
Yes, candidates may pay the exam fee in offline mode as well. They must issue a demand draft in the name of NIFT Head Office, New Delhi.
Q. What is the process of NIFT entrance exam?
Candidates must first appear at the GAT ( General Ability Test) and CAT (Creative Ability Test) exam which is held in the month of January. Eligible candidates who pass the exam may proceed to appear for the ‘Situation Test’. After the cumulative declaration of the result for both the exams, successful candidates may appear for the counselling and further processes.