New Delhi, 10 January 2022: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has urged all higher educational institutions and colleges to consider educational documents such as degrees, marksheets and other academic documents in DigiLocker accounts as valid. DigiLocker provides a secure and dedicated repository service to Academic Institutions (AIs) through the NAD portal.
University Grant Commission (#UGC) requested all #Academic Institutions to accept Degree, Mark-sheets & other documents available in the ‘issued documents’ section in #DigiLocker as #valid documents
— DigiLocker (@digilocker_ind) January 7, 2022
What is NAD?
- National Academic Depository (NAD) is an online storehouse of academic awards (degrees. marksheets and other such academic documents)
- It helps students in getting access to authentic documents/certificates in digital format directly from their original issuers anytime, anywhere without any physical interference.
- The Government of India has designated the University Grants Commission (UGC) as an authorized body to implement NAD as a permanent scheme without levying any user charges in co-operation with the Digilocker as a single depository of NAD.
What is Digilocker?
- DigiLocker is an Indian digitization online service provided by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India under its Digital India initiative.
- Students can download the DigiLocker app or register themselves on the official website to access digital copies of their documents.
- Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) can register themselves and upload their academic awards on NAD through the Digilocker NAD portal.
How to Use a Digilocker?
- DigiLocker provides an account in cloud format to every Aadhaar holder to access authentic documents/certificates such as driving license, vehicle registration, academic mark sheet in digital format from the original issuers of these certificates.
- It also provides 1GB storage space to each account to upload scanned copies of legacy documents.
- Users are required to possess an Aadhaar number to use DigiLocker.
- For the signing-up process, the Aadhaar number and the one-time password are sent to the Aadhaar-registered mobile number which is required to be entered for the verification process
Each user’s digital locker has the following sections:
1. My Certificates: This section has two subsections:
- Digital Documents: This contains the URL’s of the documents issued to the user by government departments or other agencies.
- Uploaded Documents: This subsection lists all the documents which are uploaded by the user. Each file to be uploaded should not be more than 10MB in size. Only pdf, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp and gif file types can be uploaded.
2. My Profile: This section displays the complete profile of the user as available in the UIDAI database.
3. My Issuer: This section displays the issuers’ names and the number of documents issued to the user by the issuer.
4. My Requester: This section displays the requesters’ names and the number of documents requested from the user by the requesters.
5. Directories: This section displays the complete list of registered issuers and requesters along with their URLs.