New Delhi, 1 June 2021 – Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired an important meeting regarding Class 12 board examinations 2021 today. As per Government of India sources, this high-level virtual meeting was conducted to brief the PM on all possible options related to holding the Class 12 exams this year. These options have been put forward after extensive discussions with all states and other stakeholders.
Just two days from now, on 3 June 2021, a hearing on the matter of Class 12 board examinations shall be conducted in the Supreme Court, during which the Centre would file its reply on a plea seeking cancellation of the exams.
Note: Students must note that a final decision on Class 12 board exams 2021 will not be announced today. An announcement on this matter is expected after the Supreme Court’s decision on 3 June.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chairs an important meeting regarding Class 12 Board Examinations pic.twitter.com/B4uVmqoPkQ
— ANI (@ANI) June 1, 2021
Class 12 Board Exams 2021 – Recent Happenings
- On Monday, 31 May 2021, the Supreme Court heard a petition, filed by Advocate Mamta Sharma, requesting for the cancelation of CBSE and ISC Class 12 board exams.
- As per the petition, conducting online or offline Class 12 board exams is not feasible due to the COVID-19 situation across the country. In addition, any further delay in announcing the Class 12 board exam results might adversely affect the students who are seeking admissions to universities abroad. The petition emphasises the need to declare the board results within a set timeframe based on ‘objective methodology’.
- The apex court adjourned the case for two more days, and asked the Centre to decide and submit their decision by 3 June.
- The court has, however, emphasized that the Centre must give a ‘good reason’ in case the CBSE and CISCE board authorities decide to depart from its previous year’s policy, which was to cancel the exams.
- After the Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ got admitted to AIIMS today due to post-COVID complications, some media reports regarding a possible delay in an announcement on CBSE Class 12 board exams started doing the rounds. Earlier, Pokhriyal had stated that the final decision on CBSE Class 12 exam dates and format will be announced by him on June 1.
- However, an official update is awaited.