New Delhi, November 1, 2022 – Registration for ABC Portal – The University Grants Commission (UGC) has ordered all the higher education institutes (HEIs) to make it mandatory for all their students enrolled in online and open and distance learning (ODL) programmes to register at the Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) portal.
The ABC portal is a new initiative introduced in the National Education Policy (NEP 2020) for students pursuing higher education in online and distance learning modes. The initiative aims to make the framework of the curriculum more flexible and promote interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary academic mobility across the HEIs in India.
NEP 2020 stated the importance of appropriate credit transfer mechanisms and how students will benefit. The Chairman of UGC, Mr. M Jagdesh Kumar, will be sending letters today to start the registration process to all the universities offering online and ODL programmes.
Students need to visit the official ABC portal at abc.gov.in to register themselves.
Registration for ABC Portal – Importance
- The primary objective to initiate registration at the ABC portal is to bring all the HEIs under the Academic Bank of Credit scheme in order to facilitate the opening, closure and validation of academic accounts of the students.
- This also includes credit verification and credit accumulation.
- It will also look into credit transferring and redemption of students in such institutes.
- Aiming at creating a better learning environment for the students, it is also important to promote the Academic Bank of Credit to different stakeholders.
Registration for ABC Portal – Steps to Register
Step 1: Candidates are required to visit the Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) portal – abc.gov.in
Step 2: They need to click on the ‘My account’ tab on the top right corner of the homepage.
Step 3: Next, they need to select the ‘Student’ option from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: It will redirect them to a new window where they can ‘Login/Register’ themselves using information like – username, mobile number, or identification cards issued by the government.
Step 5: New users need to click on the ‘Sign up for Meri Pehchaan’ tab.
Step 6: A new window will open and the candidates need to provide all the information required to create an account.
Note: Students with existing accounts can continue with their existing credentials and go to the next page.
Registration for ABC Portal – Other Important Details
- The UGC has also planned to send official letters to almost 58 of the universities on November 1, 2022.
- According to the reforms in NEP 2020, UGC decided to take this initiative to make the education system more student-centric.
- Every student will have a unique and individual academic bank account with a unique id and registration number. The bank account will be operated in digital form.
Registration for ABC Portal – List of Universities adopting the ABC portal
Universities that have decided on introducing this portal in their online and ODL courses have been listed below:
|University Of Mumbai
|Jamia Millia Islamia
|Jawaharlal Nehru University
|National Institute Of Technology Arunachal Pradesh
|Central University Of Punjab
|University of Hyderabad
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
|Vellore Institute Of Technology
|O P Jindal Global University
|Datta Meghe Institute Of Medical Sciences
|Guru Nanak Dev University
|Lovely Professional University
|Symbiosis International Deemed University
|Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya
|English and Foreign Languages University
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the ABC portal?
The Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) portal is an initiative taken in NEP 2020 to ensure smooth academic mobility for students. It will facilitate the students to become academic account holders. The process of credit recognition, accumulation, transfer, and redemption will be introduced to create flexibility in teaching and learning.
Is the ABC portal introduced for all the courses in higher education institutes?
The UGC has made it mandatory for all higher education institutes to register students in the ABC portal only enrolled in online and ODL programmes.
Is there any registration fee to register at the ABC portal?
The ABC portal registration is free of cost. Students can visit the official ABC portal – abc.gov.in to register.