New Delhi, 01 March 2022: The National Testing Agency (NTA) is likely to announce the schedules for entrance exams, including Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) (Main), National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET-UG), and Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) in the coming week. This decision has been made by the NTA and the Medical Advisory Council of the National Medical Commission (NMC), when the two government bodies had a meeting last week.
- This year, NTA will be conducting multiple entrances from April.
- It will include two JEE (Main) for admissions to engineering courses, architecture programmes, medical and allied courses, and a common entrance test for admission to central universities.
About JEE (Main) Exam
The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Main) consists of two papers. Paper- 1 is conducted for admission to undergraduate engineering programs (B.E/B.Tech) at National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs), other centrally funded technical institutions (CFTIs), institutions/universities that are funded or recognized by participating state governments.
- Over 15.44 lakh candidates had appeared for the JEE Main exam conducted at 3,858 centers in 13 languages in 2021. Over 8.70 lakh candidates qualified for the exam.
- Last year, the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) Main exam was conducted four times to offer flexibility to students and a chance to improve their scores. The first phase was held in February and the second in March 2021.
- The next phases were scheduled for April and May, but those were postponed in view of the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic. and were conducted in August and September 2021.
- However, this year, the JEE-Main exam is likely to be conducted twice, with the merit list to be decided based on the best of two scores.
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Undergraduate) or NEET UG is an all India pre-medical entrance test for students who wish to pursue undergraduate medical (MBBS), dental (BDS) and AYUSH (BAMS, BUMS, BHMS, etc.) courses in government and private institutions in India and for those who intend to pursue primary medical qualification abroad.
- The Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) is an all-India test organized for admission to various integrated/under-graduate, post graduate, and research programmes in several central universities and state universities of India.
- Since its inception in 2010, the CUCET has been conducted/coordinated by the Central University of Rajasthan. From 2021 onwards, the National Testing Agency took over the conduct of this exam.