The Union Government has granted permission to add 850 new seats to 7 of the 11 new government colleges in Tamil Nadu, informed Health Minister Ma Subramanian on Tuesday. This means that 850 more students will get an opportunity to get admission in medical undergraduate courses from this academic year.
Note: With the addition of 850 more MBBS UG seats, Tamil Nadu will now have a total of 4,300 seats for this academic year.
Tamil Nadu Plans to take its Medical Seat Tally to 5,200
- As per the permission granted, Kallakuruchi, Ooty, and Virudhunagar will get 150 seats each while Namakkal, Ramanathapuram, Tiruppur, and Thiruvallur will get 100 medical sets each this year.
- On the other hand, the other 4 new medical colleges in Tamil Nadu in Dindigul, Krishnagiri, Namakkal, and Ariyalur, are still to get permission for operations.
- “The committee which visited the colleges in Dindigul, Krishnagiri, Namakkal, and Ariyalur have suggested few more additional constructions in the newly built medical colleges for granting permission and the constructions suggested by the committee will be finished at earliest,” said Subramanian. He further stated that the NMC (National Medical Commission) is likely to visit these 4 colleges by October 15 for re-inspection.
- “We are getting 850 more seats for the coming academic year. If that happens, the total number of seats MBBS medical seats in the state will go up to 5,200,” added Subramanian.
- Once all the permissions are granted, Tamil Nadu will have medical college cum hospitals in all its districts.