Indian Institute of Science, Education & Research has released the IISER cutoff 2020. Candidates can visit the official admission portal i.e., iiseradmission.in to check the cutoff. The conducting body determines the board-wise cutoff marks (out of 500) that the applicants have to score (in class 12th from their respective boards) to be eligible for the IISER admission process.
It is mandatory to meet the cutoff score to be eligible to apply for the IISER (irrespective of the channel of admission). Usually, the IISER cutoff is set on the basis of the top 20 percentile scores in various state & central boards of education. The IISER cutoff includes the names of almost all the major boards operating in India. However, the CBSE cutoff marks are considered for those candidates whose boards are not listed in IISER cutoff.
The institute considers numerous factors to determine the IISER cutoff such as seat intake capacity at different campuses of IISER, previous year’s cutoff trends, etc. Since candidates have the choice to apply for IISER through 3 different channels, this group of institutions follow a slightly different way of admission. Unlike other institutions, IISER releases the board-wise cutoff marks before the admission process instead of releasing cut offs later. This is because IISER does not disclose the marks or ranks of the candidates while allocating them the seats. Instead, it just releases the list of admit card numbers/application sequence numbers of the candidates who are allotted a seat provisionally.
Skim through this article to get comprehensive details on IISER category-wise cutoff for different boards, factors determining the cutoff marks, etc.
IISER Cutoff – Key Highlights
- Candidates can apply for IISER Admissions 2020-21 through three channels – State Central Board (SCB), Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna (KVPY) Scholarship and JEE-Advanced
- Indian Institute of Science, Education & Research independently determines the IISER cutoff
- IISER releases the cutoff marks for different school boards such as CBSE, ICSE, and other state boards
- IISER cutoff list mentions the minimum required score by the applicants out of 500 in class 12th
- Candidates also find cutoff scores for different categories, namely,
- IISER does not release any score report or marks/ranks for the candidates applying for admission. Hence, there is no concept of admission cutoff in the entire IISER admission process.
- Candidates who apply through IIT-JEE channel for admission to engineering courses must have scored a minimum of 75% (65% for reserved category) in class 12th to qualify for admission in IISER. Apart from this pre-determined minimum qualifying percentage, candidates also have to meet the IISER cutoff board score released for the current year of admission.
- Candidates who don’t find their boards listed in the IISER cutoff can also apply for admission. The CBSE cutoff marks shall be considerable for their candidature.
Read More : IISER Admission Schedule – Key Dates for KVPY, SCB, IIT-JEE Channels
IISER Cutoff – Board-wise Marks Requirement
Candidates can check the table below to know the board and category-wise IISER cutoff 2020.
IISER Cutoff Marks 2020
|BOARDS/COUNCILS||Cut-off marks (out of 500) for IISERs admission 2020|
|Central Board Of Sec. Edu. (CBSE), New Delhi||427||416||396||376||376|
|Board Of Intermediate Education (Andhra Pradesh)||468||464||450||446||446|
|Assam Higher Secondary Education Council||362||360||348||317||317|
|Aligarh Muslim University Board Of
Secondary & Sr. Sec. Education, Aligarh
|Bihar School Examination Board, Patna||319||315||304||310||304|
|Council For The Indian School Certificate Examinations, Delhi||440||424||413||376||376|
|Goa Board Of Sec. And Higher Sec. Education||370||356||347||351||347|
|Gujarat Sec. And Higher Sec. Education Board||361||341||328||306||306|
|Kerala Board Of Public Examinations||447||423||401||394||394|
|Board Of Sec. Education, Madhya Pradesh||400||392||377||363||363|
|Meghalaya Board Of School Education||367||331||344||346||331|
|Mizoram Board Of School Education||360||369||350||347||347|
|Nagaland Board Of School Education||360||369||348||330||330|
|Punjab School Education Board||386||388||375||366||366|
|Telangana State Board Of Intermediate Education, Nampally, Hyderabad||467||464||453||457||453|
|Tripura Board Of Secondary Education||354||354||343||309||309|
|Maharashtra State Board Of Secondary and Higher Education||345||346||328||319||319|
|U.P. Board Of High School & Intermediate Education, U. P.||342||332||322||319||319|
|Board Of Secondary Education Rajasthan||393||394||377||370||370|
|Himachal Pradesh Board Of School Education Dharamshala, H. P.||401||389||387||388||387|
|Board Of School Education Haryana, Bhiwani||407||398||382||348||348|
|Council Of Higher Sec. Education, Manipur||311||320||311||302||302|
|Govt. Of Karnataka Dept. Of Pre-University Education, Karnataka||449||428||403||409||403|
|Council Of Higher Sec. Education, Odisha||323||323||292||271||271|
|Chhattisgarh Board Of Secondary Education||378||381||361||359||359|
|Jharkhand Academic Council, Ranchi||320||326||307||302||302|
|Jammu & Kashmir State Board Of School Education||395||383||341||328||328|
|Uttarakhand Board of School Education||316||311||297||293||293|
|West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education||348||353||328||294||294|
|Tamil Nadu Board of Higher Secondary Education||437||437||433||415||415|
|National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)||341||328||325||326||325|
Candidates who appeared for the class 12th examination from different boards must have scored the cutoff marks out of 500 (in 12th) as per their category & board mentioned in the table above.
IISER Cutoff – Factors Determining the IISER Cutoff Score
The Indian Institute of Science, Education & Research will determine the IISER cutoff after considering the following parameters:
- Previous year’s cutoff trends
- Top scores in class 12th of different boards
- Seat intake capacity at IISER campuses
Link between IISER Cutoff & Eligibility Criteria
The IISER cutoff defines the eligibility criteria for admission. Candidates can check the points jotted down to know the relation between the cutoff score and the eligibility criteria for IISER.
- Applicants, irrespective of the channel of admission, satisfy the eligibility criteria only if they secure the marks in class 12th as per the IISER cutoff for their board
- Candidates can apply through SCB channel only if their respective boards (class 12th) are listed in the IISER cutoff list. Moreover, candidates can also apply via the KVPY or IIT-JEE channels.
- Is the name of your board is not listed in the IISER cutoff, either the IISER considers the CBSE cutoff score or you have to produce a certificate issued by your relevant board stating that you secured a position within the top 20 percentile holders in class 12th boards
- If a board awards grades instead of marks in class 12th, candidates should produce a certificate issued by their respective board specifying the grades scaled into marks
- If a board provides only the aggregate score, IISER shall consider the aggregate score.
How to Calculate Marks out of 500 in Board Examination
Indian Institute of Science, Education & Research considers marks in five core subjects studied by candidates in class 12th namely,
- One language subject
- Fifth core/main subject
In case the marks scored in any of the five subjects are not evaluated out of 100, candidates must scale it accordingly.
IISER Cutoff – FAQs
✔️ Is there any additional minimum marks requirement for candidates applying through JEE Advanced apart from IISER cutoff 2020?
Yes, candidates must have mandatorily scored 75% (65% for reserved categories) in class 12th apart from satisfying the IISER cutoff of their respective boards.
✔️ My 12th score is more than the IISER cutoff score. Is my admission at IISER confirmed?
No. Candidates who qualify the IISER cutoff score are eligible to participate in the IISER admission process. However, the final admission will be based on their performance in IISER Aptitude Test (for SCB channel only), KVPY or IIT-JEE Advanced.
✔️ Will there be any admission cutoff list released by the IISER?
No. IISER will not disclose the merit position of the candidates applying through SCB, IIT-JEE or KVPY channels. Hence, no IISER admission cutoff scores will be released.
✔️ Which score shall I consider for calculating my score out of 500 if I had appeared in an improvement exam for a subject of class 12th?
Candidates must always consider their better marks out of their scores in both the attempts of class 12th exam.
✔️ The name of my 12th board is not in the IISER cutoff list. Am I eligible for IISER admission?
If the name of your board is not included in the cutoff list, your eligibility shall be determined either by using the CBSE board cut off or you need to present a certificate from your respective board specifying that you are among the top 20 percentile holders in 12th result.