New Delhi, 13 May 2022 – The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has announced that gifted students will now be exempt from appearing for JEE Main and other entrance exams, and will be provided direct admission in engineering and technical colleges. The students will be required to prove their cognitive skills and also fulfil the eligibility criteria (given in this article) to secure direct admissions into IITs, NITs, IIITs, among other premium institutions.
- Each college can only give admission to two gifted students in a year.
- Students will be supported by waiving their tuition fee entirely.
- However, they will be charged examination fee, hostel, library, transportation, laboratory, and other fees as per the norms.
|Announcement||Gifted students will be given direct admission into engineering and technical colleges.|
|Announcement Made By||All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)|
|No of Seats for Gifted Students||2 per institute|
|Benefits of the Scheme||Gifted students will be given direct admission and their tuition fee will also be waived off.|
|Institute that Will Be Offering Direct Admissions||Names to be Released by AICTE|
|Selection Criteria||Reference Letters (3) and Interview|
Table of Contents
- AICTE: Direct Admission Without JEE Main – Eligibility Criteria
- AICTE: Direct Admission Without JEE Main – Selection Process
- How does AICTE Recognise a Gifted Student?
AICTE: Direct Admission Without JEE Main – Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must be Indian citizens and should have passed Class 12 with a minimum of 45% marks in the science stream (40% marks in case of reserved category candidates).
Other than that, they need to fulfil one of the following criteria:
- Candidates must be prize winners of at least one of national/international level competitions organized by the government or other prestigious non-governmental institutions.
- Students receiving funding from any government agency for pursuing innovative projects (for example – NCERT, Ministry of Education, or any Central/State Government agency) are eligible.
- Students receiving funding from highly reputed global companies or NGOs for pursuing innovative projects are eligible.
- Candidates with high-quality original research publications in peer-reviewed journals as first authors are eligible.
- Candidates holding a patent granted by the Indian or International patent office are eligible.
- Candidates with registered startups or innovative projects/products recognized by national or vernacular media are eligible.
- Owners of apps on Google/Apple/Windows stores or technology-based innovative products in the market (with more than 10,000 downloads) are eligible.
AICTE: Direct Admission Without JEE Main – Selection Process
- Students need to directly apply to the institution (a list of institutions will be released by AICTE soon) by submitting all the relevant documents along with the application form.
- Three letters of recommendations on a proper letterhead from appropriate authorities stating that the student is a gifted child are mandatory.
- Candidates also need to submit their ‘Statement of Purpose’.
- Upon document scrutiny, the candidate will be needed to appear for the interview with a panel of experts that will ascertain the gifted nature and eligibility of the student.
- Upon receiving the final recommendation from the committee, AICTE will announce the list of selected candidates with the details of the assigned institution on its official portal.
How does AICTE Recognise a Gifted Student?
As per AICTE, “Gifted students are found in all communities regardless of their cultural, socio-economic, or ethnic background. The understanding and interpretation of what constitutes giftedness and talent vary considerably across cultures … Not all high achievers are gifted and not all gifted students are high achievers.”
Therefore, to make it easier to identify a gifted student, AICTE has created the following differentiation:
TO READ THE ENTIRE NOTIFICATION, PLEASE CLICK HERE!
I am a class topper. Can I apply for direct admissions?
Only students who qualify the criteria given in this article can apply for supernary (direct) admissions. For more clarity, please refer to the “Bright Child vs Gifted Child” table we have shared above.
Do I need to pay any fee?
Yes! All institutes will charge an application fee of Rs. 500 to candidates applying under the scheme.
How will students be selected for direct admission?
Students will first apply at one of the institutions selected for the scheme by AICTE. Then, they will be required to present three letters of recommendation. After this, the candidates will undergo the interview round and be selected for direct admission.