The Government of Delhi has inaugurated the city’s first school that will prepare students for the Indian Armed Forces. The school is named after Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh and is dedicated to inculcate officer-like qualities in its students and prepare them to join the armed forces.
With 175 students in its first batch, the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School is located at Jharoda Kalan (Najafgarh, Delhi). It also has an exclusive services preparatory wing for individual and group tasks, mock interviews, psychometric tests, and personality development workshops.
The article will provide detailed info about Delhi’s first armed forces preparatory school. Students are advised to go through the article completely to not miss out on any important info regarding the same.
Table of Contents
- Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School – Overview
- Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School – Details
- Why Was Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School Established?
Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School – Overview
|School Name||Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School|
|Inaugurated By||Chief Minister of Delhi – Mr. Arvind Kejriwal|
|Date of Inauguration||August 27, 2022|
|Aim of the School||To prepare students for the Indian Armed Forces|
|No of Students in First Batch||175 Students|
Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School – Details
- The school aims to empower children from underprivileged backgrounds and provide them the opportunity to serve the country by joining the National Defence Academy, Naval Academy, and other similar services.
- The armed forces preparatory school has a free dedicated hostel facility with cadet mess for boys and girls.
- For its first batch, the school has admitted a total of 175 students.
- Classes 9 and 11 are currently on offer at the school, with 100 seats in each class with a gender ratio of 60 boys and 40 girls.
- More than 18,000 students had applied for admissions at the school and a few hundreds had been chosen.
- Out of these, 80% to 90% of students have been chosen from government schools only.
- The school – called Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School – is part of Delhi Government’s School of Specialised Excellence.
- It is affiliated to the Delhi Board of School Education and is open to all city residents.
- At the school, students will receive a four-year-long coaching for the National Defence Academy (NDA), Naval Academy, and other similar competitions for free
- The faculty of the school consists of retired armed forces officers, trained instructors, and Delhi Government teachers.
- The school has been named after Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh so that every student gets inspired by him and is driven to serve the country.
Why Was Delhi’s First Armed Forces Preparatory School Established?
Talking about the formation of the school, CM Kejriwal noted, “A couple of years ago, we realised how Delhi has no Sainik School to prepare cadets for the Army. Within just one year, we built this school and even surpassed our own expectations. This is a state-of-the-art facility and it offers services you wouldn’t get in the most posh schools too. Over 80%-90% students here have been absorbed from government schools.”
He further added, “A lot of students used to prepare on their own and appear for these tests which includes the NDA and other entrance exams. Other states had Sainik Schools but Delhi never had any school of that kind … I took a round of the school and I have to say that it is such an excellent school. The students are proud of the fact that they will start the legacy of this wonderful institution.”
Are there any Sainik Schools in Delhi?
No! There is no Sainik School in Delhi as of now. To combat the situation, the Delhi Government has launched its first armed forces school called the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School at Jharoda Kalan (Najafgarh, Delhi). From August 2022 onwards, candidates can get admission into this school to prepare for armed forces.
Can I get free NDA coaching in Delhi?
Yes! Students can get free NDA and other defense-related coaching in Delhi by getting admitted into the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School (Jharoda Kalan, Najafgarh, Delhi).
Is the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School free?
Yes! Candidates chosen for the school will receive free education, hostel services (including mess), and other state-of-the-art facilities at the school. However, they will have to crack the school’s entrance exam to get admitted.