New Delhi, 14 April 2022: On 13 April 2022, the University Grants Commission (UGC) released a letter regarding the pursuit of two academic programmes simultaneously. As per the letter, the UGC has stated that multiple Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) should set up open and distance learning courses due to the increased demand for higher education and limited availability of seats in the regular-stream. So, the commission has drafted certain guidelines on the same day.
Table of Contents
- Important Details
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
|Courses Included||Courses Exempted|
|Undergraduate Programs||M.Phil Courses|
|Postgraduate Programs||PhD. Courses|
- The issue of allowing the students to pursue two academic programmes simultaneously has been examined by the Commission by giving consideration to the proposals envisaged in the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 which emphasizes the need to facilitate multiple pathways to learning involving both formal and non-formal education modes.
- A tweet for the same has been released on the official UGC Twitter page.
— UGC INDIA (@ugc_india) April 13, 2022
UGC’s New Guidelines for Pursuing Two Academic Programmes Simultaneously: Details
- A student can pursue two full-time academic programmes in the physical mode. However, in
such cases, class timings for one programme should not overlap with the class timings of the other
- A student can pursue two academic programmes, one in full-time physical mode and another
in Open and Distance Learning (ODL)/Online mode; or up to two ODL/Online programmes
- Degree or diploma programmes under ODL/Online mode shall be pursued with only such
Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) which are recognized by the UGC/Statutory Council/Government of India for running such programmes.
- Degree or diploma programmes under these guidelines shall be governed by the regulations
notified by the UGC and also the respective statutory/professional councils, wherever
- The above guidelines shall be applicable only to the students pursuing academic programmes other than PhD programme.
- Based on the above guidelines, the universities can come up with their own rules for allowing their students to pursue two academic programmes simultaneously as mentioned above.
UGC’s New Guidelines for Pursuing Two Academic Programmes Simultaneously: Benefits
- The new guidelines aim at recognizing, identifying, and fostering the unique capabilities of each student, by sensitizing teachers as well as parents to promote each student’s holistic development in both academic and non-academic spheres.
- Through the new guidelines, all kinds of hierarchies associated with arts and sciences, between curricular and extracurricular activities, and between vocational and academic streams, will be removed.
- Through the new guidelines, a multidisciplinarity and a holistic education across the sciences, social sciences, arts, humanities, and sports will be ensured.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In what modes can two academic programs be pursued?
A student can pursue two academic programmes, one in full-time physical mode and another in Open and Distance Learning (ODL)/Online mode; or up to two ODL/Online programmes simultaneously.
Will there be any changes in the overall education quality with the introduction of new guidelines?
Through the new guidelines, a multidisciplinarity and a holistic education across the sciences, social sciences, arts, humanities, and sports will be ensured.