New Delhi, 12 November 2021 – The National Achievement Survey (NAS) 2021 is scheduled to be held today (November 12) and is aimed at assessing the competencies of students belonging to Class 3, 5, 8, and 10, respectively. The survey will be undertaken by the Union Education Ministry and will cover nearly 1.23 lakh schools and 38 lakh students around the country.
The Union Education Ministry will be covering the entire spectrum of schools for the survey, including government schools, government-aided schools, and private schools across 733 districts belonging to 36 states and union territories. For conducting the NAS 2021 survey smoothly, a total of 1,82,488 field investigators, 1,23,729 observers, 733 district-level coordinators, and 36 state nodal officers have been appointed.
Regarding the NAS 2021 survey, a statement by the Union Education Ministry noted, “The next round of NAS will be held on November 12, 2021 across the country, which will help to assess the learning interruptions and new learnings during the COVID-19 pandemic and help to take remedial measures. The instrument development, testing, finalisation of the test items, sampling of the schools, etc., has been done by NCERT. However, the actual administration of the test in the sampled schools will be done by CBSE in collaboration with the respective states/union territories.”
Table of Contents
National Achievement Survey (NAS) 2021: Salient Features
- The National Achievement Survey for this year is scheduled for 12 November 2021.
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has developed the assessment framework to gauge the competencies of students in the survey.
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) along with the governments of states and union territories of India will be administering the test.
- The survey will be conducted in mathematics, language, and environment science for Class 3 and 5.
- For Class 8, NAS will be conducted in mathematics, language, science, and social science subjects.
- For Class 10, the survey will cover subjects like mathematics, language, science, social science, and English.
- NAS will be covering 22 mediums (languages) of instruction like Assamese, Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, Bodo, Garo, Khasi, Konkani, Nepali, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Mizo, Bhutia, and Lepcha.
Note: The report cards for both elementary and secondary levels for NAS 2021 will be released and placed in the public domain. These can be checked by visiting NAS’ official website.
What is the National Achievement Survey (NAS)?
The National Achievement Survey (NAS) is a nationally representative large-scale survey of students’ learning undertaken by the Ministry of Education, Government of India.
NAS gives a ground-level reflection on the effectiveness of the school system in India. Its findings help the government compare the performance of the education system and find areas for improvement.