New Delhi, 3 August 2023– The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati has released a notification declaring Sunday, 12 February 2023, as the date for conducting the IIT JAM 2023 examination. The application process for the Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM) 2023 will begin on 7 September and will go on till October 11, 2022. IIT Guwahati is the conducting institute for the exam this time.
Table of Contents
- What is IIT JAM?
- IIT JAM 2023 – Important Details
- IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern
- IIT JAM Marking Scheme 2023
- IIT JAM Exam Centres 2023
- IIT Jam 2023 – FAQs
What is IIT JAM?
- IIT JAM is a computer-based common admission test conducted every year for admissions into Master of Science (M.Sc.) and other post-graduate science programs at Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and other reputed institutes offering Master and PhD courses in engineering. The test is conducted in 7 Papers including Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Economics, Mathematical Statistics and Physics, at the undergraduate level. The test helps students secure a direct admission to approximately 3000 seats in various postgraduate programmes at IITs.
IIT JAM 2023 – Important Details
|Name of the examination||Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM) 2023|
|Conducting institute||IIT Guwahati|
|Date of the exam||12 February 2022|
|Starting date of application process||7 September 2022|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
|Last date of application||11 October 2022|
|Medium of exam||English|
|Total number of seats||3000 seats|
|Declaration of results||22 March 2023|
|Online application for admission||11 April to 25 April 2023|
|Mode of examination||Computer Based Test|
|Type of questions||There are 3 objective types of questions
|Test paper codes||Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Mathematics (MA), Biotechnology (BT), Economics (EN), Mathematical Statistics (MS) and Physics (PH)|
|Shift-wise papers||Forenoon- Chemistry, Geology Mathematics
Afternoon- Biotechnology, Economics, Mathematical Statistics and Physics
|Admission institutes||IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT (ISM) Dhanbad, IIT Gandhinagar, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Indore, IIT Jammu, IIT Jodhpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras,
IIT Mandi, IIT Palakkad, IIT Patna, IIT Roorkee, IIT Ropar, IIT Tirupati, and IIT (BHU) Varanasi
|Admission programmes||MSc, MSc (Tech), Joint MSc- PhD, MSc- PhD Dual Degree, MSc-MTech Dual Degree, MS (R)
NOTE : JAM 2023 Score is also likely to be used by IISc Bangalore, IISERS, LIPE, INCASR, and CFTIs such as NITs, IIEST Shibpur, SLIET, and DIAT
The candidates may appear in ONE or TWO test papers.
The candidates who wish to appear in two test papers must ensure that both are not scheduled in the same session.
CLICK HERE TO CHECK THE IIT JAM INFORMATIONAL POSTER 2023
What is the eligibility criteria for IIT JAM 2023?
As per the guidelines issued by IIT Guwahati, the candidates applying for IIT JAM 2023 fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- The candidate must have completed undergraduate degrees or are currently studying in the final year of an undergraduate programme are eligible to apply for JAM 2023 examination.
- A foreign national with an Indian degree is eligible to apply, subject to the policy of the admitting institute.
What is the admission procedure after the completion of IIT JAM 2023?
The exam notification mentions the following application process which is to be followed by the candidates after qualifying for the exam.
- Candidates who qualify in any Test Paper of IIT JAM 2023 will be eligible to apply for admission to specific academic programmes subject to the satisfaction of the eligibility requirements and minimum educational qualifications
- Admission shall be given on the basis of merit, the reservation policy of the Government of India, and the availability of seats
- Candidates must submit the proof of the qualifying degree by September 29, 2023
- Candidates promoted without a mark sheet should produce a certificate stating the subjects studied in that semester/year. The document should be duly signed by the Head of the Institute.
- Additional details are available on the JAM 2023 website.
- Qualifying the IIT JAM 2023 does not guarantee admission to postgraduate programmes or any scholarship/ financial assistance.
IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern
Here are the details about the exam pattern –
- It will be a Computer Based Test
- The exam papers will be conducted in two shifts (forenoon and afternoon). The Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics papers will be conducted in the forenoon shift whereas Biotechnology, Economics, Mathematical Statistics and Physics papers will be held in the other shift.
- A candidate can appear for two papers given both the paper do not overlap
- There would be 3 types of objective questions in the paper-
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
- The duration of the exam is three hours
- The medium for all the test papers will be English
- The candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen.
IIT JAM Marking Scheme 2023
- There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks. The entire paper will be divided into three sections A, B and C. All sections will be compulsory.
- Section – A will have a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ will have four choices out of which only one choice will be the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B will contain a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ will be similar in pattern to MCQ however the MSQ may have one or more than one correct choice(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate will get full credit only if he/she selects all the correct answer(s) and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section – C will contain a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer will be a signed real number, which will be required to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for NAT questions.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero marks.
- In Section – A (MCQ), a wrong answer will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to 1-mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly, for each wrong answer to 2-mark questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
- In Section – B (MSQ), there will be no negative and no partial marking provisions. There will be no negative marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
IIT JAM Exam Centres 2023
IIT Jam 2023 – FAQs
What is IIT JAM examination?
The Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM) is a computer-based common admission test conducted every year for admissions into Master of Science (M.Sc.) and other post-graduate science programs at the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and other reputed institutes offering Master and PhD courses in engineering. The test is conducted in 7 Test Papers including Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Economics, Mathematical Statistics and Physics, at the undergraduate level.
What is the eligibility criteria of IIT JAM 2023?
As per the guidelines issued by IIT Guwahati, the candidates applying for IIT JAM 2023 must have completed an undergraduate degree or be currently studying in the final year. Foreign Nationals with Indian degrees are eligible to apply, subject to the policy of the admitting institute.
The IIT Guwahati has announced Sunday, 12 February 2023, as the date for conducting the IIT JAM 2023 examination. The application process will begin on 7 September and will go on till October 11, 2022. The results of the exam will be declared on 22 March 2023.